HDMI into RCA cable

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
My new hp notebook would like to be part of my stereo. I lost the manual, there are three ports on the hp, no markings saying or looking like an audio out. Is it ok to just random try them, I don't want to blow my nice preamp? I need more than the standard 1.5m/5ft cable, no one seems to make 6' or 7' versions :mad:.

I've also seen these converter boxes so I could use any male to male cable to get the length I need but, they look like they are for video upsampling mostly. And kinda pricy at $19.99

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
You have the white, red and yellow RCA jacks on that laptop for composite video, don't you?

White is left, red is right and yellow is video.

You would know if you plugged the video into an audio input, it would make a large hum.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
You have the white, red and yellow RCA jacks on that laptop for composite video, don't you?

You would know if you plugged the video into an audio input, it would make a large hum.
I plugged the yellow into the input of a Teac RtoR deck once, bypassed the capstan so the forward spindle motor would pull the tape through at a ridiculously high speed.
Played back into a component television and almost-sorta-kinda got a picture. It tried, but didn't make it.

One of my shits&giggles experiments while high...

stuwee

Nope, no jacks jusst HDMI slots, 3 of them, John uses one to charge his phone, he says he can use any of the three to do that. That's why I'm confused as to what they do. I don't do home theater, I just want to watch videos and listen to the sound thru the slabs. How hard is it to provide simple audio and video outs on a laptop like on a BluRay player or TV??

Thanks for that funny Mark :laughing6: what I'm trying to avoid...

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Stu ,
Do you need stereo audio only ?
Two solutions :
- cable beetween headphones out (PC ) and aux imput ( preamp )
-Bluetooth conection with an audio adapter connected to aux imput ( preamp )
Used normally with my PC and Carver C4000 and my father's PC and PL 4000 .
This is the device :
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-audio-adapter
Ciao
Marco

stuwee

Hey guys, thanks! I contacted the company, and I missed something, there is only one HDMI jack, the other two are convertable outs, like you can change them and they are a different size. The HDMI jack is the one I should use, although Marco brings up an interesting solution with the bluetooth dohickey, I don't know much about that stuff either. Is it wireless? That would solve my length issue.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Bluetooth is a wireless standard developed by Ericsson .
Every modern PC has a Bluetooth transceiver inside .
so it's necessary only a receiver .
Logitech is probably the best .
Ciao
Marco

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Hey Stu,
Good to hear you are on the mend brother. Hang in there man.

Here is my take on what you have as far as outputs on the Laptop. Yes one of those is a HDMI.
That is a digital output so it would work into a HDMI input which your preamp probably does not have so forget about that one for now.
The other two are USB outputs. If you look close, you will see the difference in those and the hdmi plug in.

So if you want great sound forget about Bluetooth. Hard wiring is the best way to go. Not wireless.
What you need is a Digital to Analog converter to use in one of the USB outs.
This one is the way to go. You will be amazed with the sound quality.

Dragon Fly Red or Black if you want to spend a little less.
https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
jm

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Bluetooth is a wireless standard developed by Ericsson .
Every modern PC has a Bluetooth transceiver inside .
so it's necessary only a receiver .
Logitech is probably the best .
Ciao
Marco
I have never seen it because I have a rag-tag fleet of PCs escaping the Cylon Empire...

Maybe on laptops but WI-FI with a card is used here. Has an antenna on back (802.11?) and also accesses your wireless router (but don't look at me, I still use USB and Cat 5).

I know people who had others 'borrowing' their wireless and they shut that down, kicked them off. They are a BUSINESS after all.

stuwee

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well, great ideas guys, the logitech is $39 and I couldn't see a price on the AQ Dragonflys?

I saw this Bluetooth receiver for $9, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Blu...m=163051593952&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

So, I think I'll see how that works for now. 10ft of cable for the dragonflys could get pricey...if I knew it would sound 10X better I'd spring for it. Thanks again guys!!!
Hey lemme get your model number, Craig. What kind of combo ports are they?

Let's say you could have one of them do digital out - then that output goes to a DAC on the other end and gets converted to audio at that point, so between the PC and the DAC (the longest run) would be something that wouldn't pick up noise especially if the run is fiber instead of coax.. You can also do USB between but either you'll have problems or you won't (been so much hit and miss here).. LMK..

stuwee

Hey ya Jer, HP 15-F387WM, not the best rig but, I needed something cheap and it suited me. The 2 other ports use the plug that has a 2 armed suaruo cactus looking thing on the plug. USB??

So, you think the DAC justmike suggested is the way to go for the best sound?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hey ya Jer, HP 15-F387WM, not the best rig but, I needed something cheap and it suited me. The 2 other ports use the plug that has a 2 armed suaruo cactus looking thing on the plug. USB??

So, you think the DAC justmike suggested is the way to go for the best sound?
Yeah USB should be good for you, but depends on how long you think you'll need the USB cable. Site here is trying to sell something but it gives good info and options to think about. That cable should be all you need tho, plus your good interconnects from the DAC to your pre or receiver.

Check it out.. http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Hi Craig, Hi Jer,

You really should not need a USB cable at all if you go with the Dragonfly DAC. It plugs right into the USB port. Yeah the one that looks
like the Saguaro Cactus.
Then just a 3.5mm to stereo rca male like this one :

http://www.yourcablestore.com/YCS-Basics-12-foot-35mm-stereo-to-2-RCA-male-cable_p_1252.html

I have a Oppo 203 cd/bluray player and to my ears the Dragonfly sounds just as good playing downloads from my Mini Mac or Pc laptop.

jm

stuwee

Wow! Those dragonfly's aren't cheap. Got a line on ebay for one that ends tomorrow for hopefully around $50 or $60 instead of a new one at $$200+, some cable in the length for $45, I can eat ramen and mac & chz for awhile. I think ya'll have talked me into going this route, great sound is a must!!

No headphone jack on the Sumo Pre Amp :sad:.

I have a tubed Little Dot 1 headphone amp into the Sumo, that could be fun to get an adaptor and route it through there too for a slightly different sound profile...

orange

Tagline
Hi Craig, Hi Jer,

You really should not need a USB cable at all if you go with the Dragonfly DAC. It plugs right into the USB port. Yeah the one that looks
like the Saguaro Cactus.
Then just a 3.5mm to stereo rca male like this one :

http://www.yourcablestore.com/YCS-Basics-12-foot-35mm-stereo-to-2-RCA-male-cable_p_1252.html

I have a Oppo 203 cd/bluray player and to my ears the Dragonfly sounds just as good playing downloads from my Mini Mac or Pc laptop.

jm
The USB icon looks like a saguaro cactus because it's a multiple device type universal serial bus. It supports different devices chained to it at the same time (as long as the hub's limits aren't exceeded or it gets pulled down).

In my experience it's cheaper and maybe better to use a 3.5 mm jack to stereo female RCA adapter and then you can replace the cables if they break, or the adapter if it gets messed up as well.

That's more klutz proof for me and the cable lengths can also be changed.

What's even better, you should be able to find that adapter at Walmart.

Boy I miss Radio Shack.:sad4:

stuwee

they both came in the mail yeasterday, I waited for John to go to work so I can crank it up :headbang:. The results are mixed, the sound isn't as nice as the Onix or Denon CDP's. I really can't trust my ears though, with the radiation and chemo causing temporary hearing loss. I also don't trust the sound on most video's posted online for HD even if they say so.

It is a handy device for when guests come over and say "Do you have any **** and I don't, I can just look it up and win, win :thumbup::thumbup:, I'm diggin' it.

I'll have a Q about using Windows to play and post in another thread. I'm so stupid with that stuff.