Harman Kardon transistors

calman46

Journeyman
I have a HK citation A preamp that is all orignal and it works. I am looking to recapp it . So in preperation I'm looking at the HK branded germanium transistors. Is there anyway to tell what type the transistor was used ? The only info I could find is the schematic ,which only has EBC voltages and either NPN or PNP . Any ideas or suggestions ?

Attachments

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I have a HK citation A preamp that is all orignal and it works. I am looking to recapp it . So in preperation I'm looking at the HK branded germanium transistors. Is there anyway to tell what type the transistor was used ? The only info I could find is the schematic ,which only has EBC voltages and either NPN or PNP . Any ideas or suggestions ?
The schematic says "Pre 1963" on it, so you have to assume that these are probably germanium, like you already do. The unit works, so aside from curiosity, why are you wanting to know the specific part numbers? It seems like it would be a real problem to find replacements since that technology has been overtaken by silicon, and only NOS parts would be available if you could find 'em. That's a big if!
They (germanium) are typically noisy and susceptible to temperature variation...but if they did fail you could do a thevinin analysis of the circuit, deduce the requirements, and specify your own replacement. You might have to modify the associated resistors value to make it right as well.
The only other thing might be to find a service manual or some more info from Harmon Kardon, but they've changed hands over the years and the documentation is going to be hard to find. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Harmon Kardon thoughtfully put their own part number on the schematic instead of the real transistor number.
Good luck!

calman46

Journeyman
From my searching around HK didn't do SM that early . I need to look inside of one of the SR models also as no SM there either but from the same time . I think earlest SM is the 230 which list the HK and equivalent replacement transistors , but the HK numbers are different . Just preparing for the worst :-o ,thanks

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I found this - it might have some clues but no specific information on the transistors that I saw. I read a thread on AK that had a touched on a cap replacement for this model preamp. At the end of the thread one of the posters mentioned that an article in a 1963 Journal of the Audio Engineering Society went into great depth about the design of the HK Citation A.

http://www.aes.org/journal/toc/

Attachments

calman46

Journeyman
I looked at AES and it wasn't listed in the TOC's .I would have to join and ask in the forum. There still germanium transistors available ,are the voltages on the schematic enough to ballpark possible replacements?

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I looked at AES and it wasn't listed in the TOC's .I would have to join and ask in the forum. There still germanium transistors available ,are the voltages on the schematic enough to ballpark possible replacements?
Voltage is just one several factors that you would need to address to select a suitable replacement.

I don't know if this guy is still in business but he is/was selling articles from the Audio Engineering magazine - he quotes $6 per article.

http://www.roger-russell.com/magrevaudio.htm#a1963

calman46

Journeyman
True but there is not a lot of possible candidates to chose from. Anyway thanks for info I sent an email to Roger .

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Revamp it for silicon transistors. Not much in there so it can't be too difficult.

None of the circuits seem to rely on the inherent low Vbe that Germanium offers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Said like a man who dos this shit in his sleep.....Joe you are too much man..:laughing1:

calman46

Journeyman
I wish I could revamp it for silicon transistors . That's over my head. Which resistors,transistors ,I wouldn't know where to start. I can do the work

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I wish I could revamp it for silicon transistors . That's over my head. Which resistors,transistors ,I wouldn't know where to start. I can do the work

Is what you posted all the pages for the schematic? Or are there more pages? 6 transistors per channel...

calman46

Journeyman
I posted the 2 pages .I'm counting 15 per side. Double click on the schematic is should open a PDF file with 2 pages