Happy Birthday Nando

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thank you. As always, I am busy with a few vintage audio purchases, completed repair pick-ups and drop-off of other audio components for repair.

I was in Vancouver, yesterday, at a place called Urban Repurpose. It was my first time there and it was recommended to me by my youngest son. Although I didn't pick them up at the time, there are a pair of JBL L36 Decade speakers that need new surrounds, at the very least. My son is going to take a few pictures of them and I may buy them if the price is good and, subsequently, have them repaired.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Whenever I've revisited the Lower Mainland, I went to Urban Repurpose. Since my workdays were spent nearby, when my shift ended, I went to that store frequently over several years even since before it relocated to Brooksbank Ave. There was never a ton of audio but what I did find there were good deals.

Sony WM-D6 - $2.00
Boston Acoustics A70's needing new woofer surrounds - $2.00
Dual 704 working with Shure M95 cartridge - $4.50
Sanyo Plus P55 working - $10.00
Sansui AU-D11 working - $50.00
A nice, virtually brand new Krups coffee maker that I still use - $15.00
A dozen or so Vancouver punk LP's & EP's - $1.00 each.
Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc 78's - $0.50 each

On one visit, I turned down a pair of JBL Decade L26 that were being unloaded when I arrived. They were offered to me for free - just haul them away, but I wasn't interested. Those tweeters turned me off and no space at home to put them.

My last visit there was last summer and the pendulum had swung hard in the other direction. I spotted a pair of AR18 for $248. When new, those would go on sale for $99 per pair. But I did find a hall runner I needed for $2.00.

I can't blame Tom's capitalizing by jumping on the "vintage" bandwagon but if I still lived in the GVRD, I would not haunt the place like I once did. To quote B.B. King - "The thrill has gone".

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Gary: Interesting back story on the Urban Repurpose shop. It seems to be a family-run business and my son - who deals with them - says the owner is open to offers on stuff in the store.

Nando.