Handed Down PL400 II

Almost1

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hello all,

I was just handed down my dad's old PL equipment he had since new, which included the 400 II, 2000 II, and an RG PRO 16B processor. Everything works great, except there is noise when you turn volume and sensitivity knobs. No big deal, but I'm going to see if the repair shop can clean them up for me. Before I put it in place of my ADCOM equipment, I am going to install the DCP Relay board.

I was taking a look at the output transistors because I was trying to figure out if it was full or quasi comp., and I'm still not quite sure which I have, when I noticed something interesting. The left-most column of transistors is different from the rest (minus the very bottom which I believe are the drivers). They read TP9054 when the other three columns are PL909. Both of which are factory used parts correct? My dad said he used to take it into a shop every few years an have it looked over, so maybe they were replaced by them? I was reading that all the transistors on a channel are supposed to be the same manufacturer and part number, so do I have to worry? I was thinking of replacing them all anyway as the PL909's have a bit of corrosion. In the meantime, should I be concerned? I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see a bit later.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hello all,

I was just handed down my dad's old PL equipment he had since new, which included the 400 II, 2000 II, and an RG PRO 16B processor. Everything works great, except there is noise when you turn volume and sensitivity knobs. No big deal, but I'm going to see if the repair shop can clean them up for me. Before I put it in place of my ADCOM equipment, I am going to install the DCP Relay board.

I was taking a look at the output transistors because I was trying to figure out if it was full or quasi comp., and I'm still not quite sure which I have, when I noticed something interesting. The left-most column of transistors is different from the rest (minus the very bottom which I believe are the drivers). They read TP9054 when the other three columns are PL909. Both of which are factory used parts correct? My dad said he used to take it into a shop every few years an have it looked over, so maybe they were replaced by them? I was reading that all the transistors on a channel are supposed to be the same manufacturer and part number, so do I have to worry? I was thinking of replacing them all anyway as the PL909's have a bit of corrosion. In the meantime, should I be concerned? I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see a bit later.
Quasi, the TP9054 are MJ15024 NPN transistors from Motorola

Almost1

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Here are some pictures. They could use a good cleaning. The pictures don't really show it, but all the wood matches

IMG_20160831_215951981.jpg IMG_20160831_220017079.jpg