hafler dh110

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Gene, been through this myself. Having never owned a tape deck, it took some reading and experimenting until I learned how the tape loops work. 50% of the time I still hook up the PL1000S2 up backwards in the Tape 1 loop when swapping the preamp in and out.
Glad you got this figured out! Enjoy your system!

GeorgeP

Journeyman
i would be very interest in your mods....i did not recap these....do i need to??
i dont know as much as i wish i did...
please document the changes....dont take for granted that i know anything...
thank you for taking your time to help...

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Gene, been through this myself. Having never owned a tape deck, it took some reading and experimenting until I learned how the tape loops work. 50% of the time I still hook up the PL1000S2 up backwards in the Tape 1 loop when swapping the preamp in and out.
i learned a lot...set up a wopl400 and voigts to test on...with dh110 and fm tuner and equalizer...they really sound nice ...i cut them off at 30 hz...and supressed mids...the 8 inch drivers have a sensitivity of nearly 96db at 1 watt 1 meter and a freq response of 30 to 20k hz....when used with the big 4 ways ...they make the sound fuller...in stand alone mode the 8" drivers cant produce the bass as the 350 watt hafler to a 15" speaker....needed to tone highs and mids down a bit more to sound more balanced ....the room is large 17' x 25' i think...cement walls and ceramic floors...lively enviornment ...a bit large for stand alone voigts ...
one would be happy in a smaller place...i pushed them to iver 100 watts...sounded nice...
also cleaned up more wiring...removed the extra dac and feed from my phone through usb cables to the smsl dac...where i can stream hires lossless from apple ...it was fun!!!

GeorgeP

Journeyman
Here are the switch bypass mods. Tone controls are now on all the time, External processing loop switch bypass. Switches now have no effect. Don't forget to put cable jumpers on the sed/receive jacks on the back panel, or...no signal gets through. I'll add the relay mod that removes the pesky FETs another day. Red are the cuts and jumpers. For jumpers...use any thin small gauge bare un-insulated wire for the short jumps across the switch pins on the board. four resistors, just lift one side of each resistor...you can easily restore it back if you want to. Hafler PCB mods for tone and EPL jumped out.jpg

Attachments

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
and thanks for no audio shaming!!!
lololol
even though i deserve it!!!

GeorgeP

Journeyman
thank you...you are a good man charlie brown!!!
I made the relay mod schematic. 17V Zener diode needed, so I used a 12V AND a 5V in series. Relay is any small sealed DPST with a 5V coil at about 10 milliamperes (560 Ohms or so). Voltage at op-amp IC3 Pin-1 goes to -22V, so 22-17 = 5V for the relay. Lift up R65. Put a jumper across R66...I FORGOT TO RED THAT IN! RELAY IS CONNECTED TO PIN-1. Put a 1N4001 diode across coil. Relay is normally closed contacts to ground un-energized. relay mod.jpg , so no audio till the op-amp goes to -22V, the mute time, THEN THE RELAY IS ACTIVE.

Attachments