Greenhorn

Kma4444

Journeyman
Howdy folks. I am very green to all this besides growing up listening to LOTS of output from my now late dad's audio equipment. Plenty of Phase Linear stuff that I am now inheriting. He had lots and lots of stuff, not just PL but that's what brought me here. I have brought from his place, I think, 2, 700s, 2 700Bs and 4 400s, also a 4000 if I remember correctly. Probably more that I haven't seen or found yet. Like I said, lots of other brand stuff as well. I am going to put these in use but plan to go through them before I try and power them up unless I am persuaded otherwise.

Is there a reasonable place to start learning what and why? I appreciate it.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Welcome, with all those PL goodies this is definitely the right place for, a lot of great help and talent here for you. Best to go to the home page and scroll down to the Phoenix DIY section WOPL building/ Tips and Archives to get started, a lot of reading material to help you out. By the way WOPL means White Oak Phase Linear as the White Oak company has lots of new stuff to make your PL stuff better than new. The owner is Joe who posts here as Gepetto.

Kma4444

Journeyman
Good deal, I appreciate the decoding of the WOPL, I was wondering. I suppose I just wondered if there was a logical starting point, things that are necessary, then things that are luxuries. If there's a logical progression etc. I will be just browsing and reading to try and get up to speed either way. Thanks all

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Your welcome, these are all old pieces of electronics and will need work to be safe besides being "bigger, faster, stronger"
By the way lots of humorous and wiseass people here don't be offended it takes a while to adjust but a great place to learn and enjoy.

Kma4444

Journeyman
I get what you are saying, not that I completely understand things yet, but I will get at least not ignorant anyway. I am pretty thick skinned if not a tad irreverent. I don't think anyone will hurt my feelings too badly. Thank you all again

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
You have some good working capital there. Sitting idle does not help these vintage PL units as you will quickly discover. Don't be discouraged if they do not work as originally intended. With so many PL units, you would be wise to invest in a 20 Amp Variac and a dim bulb tester. You will find sources for these items on this forum.

Kma4444

Journeyman
I know dad had a variac, he had it hooked to a television and threatened his very curious son with grave consequences if he ever touched that very tempting dial. I'm sure it's an antique if it's still in his house. I did get his o-scope in my first haul of stuff from his house. I will have to look for some of the other things.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
I can see the future when my offspring have to dig through my stash, scratch their heads and give it to charity!! I am educating them every time they visit....

Nice collection of goodies, what are the non Phase Linear items? I might understand what those are, we do not seem to have that brand here in the UK - I have a Carver receiver, which is about as close as i have got! ( Apart from the Phase Linear 7000 cassette deck, but that was sourced for me from Canada! )

PC

Kma4444

Journeyman
Hey, I haven't really cataloged any of the other stuff. I can say for sure that he has many Yamaha DSP units, 3090 and others. Not sure what the attraction to those was, I mean maybe a couple but there are probably close to double digit numbers of them. He was an amateur radio guy and there was lots of that, his wife has been trying to sell that stuff as I don't have any interest really. There is stuff still in boxes from Ebay auctions so no telling what I will find in them. Still have a few trips to make to collect what I want.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Ham radio operator KD6AR. Stepmother maybe? Have a lot of the latest gear so I'm not a potential buyer. Happy to help find some though.

Kma4444

Journeyman
Dad was WB4IFA. Yeah, my stepmother is trying to sell what she can of the radio stuff. Mostly older but not antique. I would assume it was nice equipment when it was new as it was his thing. If she hasn't had luck getting rid of it I will take a look and see if I can identify any of it.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Your dad should have a log book full of ham contact info. You might be able to network through some of his buddies and get the ham stuff sold. FredR could tell you about the contact process.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Welcome aboard !
Ciao
Marco
My father has all PL gears ( first series ) : PL 4000 ( 2x ) , 5000, 400, 700, 700B and 1000 .