Getting As Bad As Jim For Waving The Teac/Tascam Flag

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Picked up a Teac C-3X for cheap from a Canuck Audio Mart ad. It arrived yesterday and is going to the tech tomorrow to be serviced. It is one of two decks used in a Calgary radio station and being sold by a seller in Alberta. Maybe I should have bought the second one, too, for resale purposes.

I now have a Tascam 122 MK II, Teac C-1 MK II, Teac 450 and now the C-3X.

Seller's photo:

thumbnail_TEAC 2.jpg

Nando.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Picked up a Teac C-3X for cheap from a Canuck Audio Mart ad. It arrived yesterday and is going to the tech tomorrow to be serviced. It is one of two decks used in a Calgary radio station and being sold by a seller in Alberta. Maybe I should have bought the second one, too, for resale purposes.

I now have a Tascam 122 MK II, Teac C-1 MK II, Teac 450 and now the C-3X.

Seller's photo:

View attachment 80453

Nando.
That's a beauty Nando !

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have a feeling Lee is referring to his series of quotes on his signature:

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Nando.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I have a feeling Lee is referring to his series of quotes on his signature:

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Nando.
Even with that landslide of sig comments - it just goes to show how easily they are overlooked - :p

So much for getting excited Lee had a deck, patched in. :confused:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Tony: You know, I think Lee has a Pioneer CT-F9191 patched into his system. I'm just going off of memory.

Nando.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Limited experience with Teac, started with the Radio Shack version of the X-3, then serviced a X-10R, then buying my own X-7R, I’m impressed with the internal construction, I can only assume this applies to the cassette decks as well.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Lee: Last year I got a Pioneer CT-97 to match the rest of my Pioneer silver-faced gear with rack handles. It's the Spec version of the CT-F9191.

20230912_175956 (1).jpg

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I thought it was just a gussied-up version of the CT-F9191. Don't know if it has the same style of clutch. It has been working in a side system since I got it in August of 2023. I had the tech do a complete service on my CT-F9191 less than six months ago and the clutch hadn't failed in it, either.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Good to hear it may not be plagued with the bad clutch.

Damn Nando.....you need a rack...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Wave the flag!

As I see it, Tascam is a tool, not a toy. Built reasonably well (not Studer well) and reasonably priced. Perform well out of the box and better when optimized for your specific tape. (I still want a Studer deck to play with, but I won't invest the normal asking money to test the waters)

No flash, or gizmos. They just work for their intended purpose.

Before Tascam I was a Teac fan. My A3340S was a beast and it worked great when I needed it as a four-track recorder. High playback speed dubs from CD or LP were awesome too. I figured if they focused on tape only, they probably had a pretty good handle on it, as opposed to other brands with every type of component available. Of course, with a shot gun blast you eventually hit something, but dedication to one discipline generally leads to a better final product. Now, Teac makes everything, and I am not as enamored with them Tascam too for that matter. But Tascam's new digital stuff is good bang for the buck for sure.