Gepetto

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I used to have the PL700B on the mains Lee until I started using it for development purposes. I listen on the main system more than on the vinyl system. It was getting to be a pain to constantly be putting it in and out of the system so I moved the DC300A Series 2 in as a sub on the mains.

On Class A
Only in the crossover distortion area Lee. It is the purest form of amplification but it is terribly inefficient. I doubt I could notice a difference, maybe some can.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Lee,

Have you done any comparisons of the WOPL 550 vs the 700B ? Just wondered how they stack up in terms of FR, THD, IM and anything else you could measure. It would be interesting to see the plots.....Hell, for that matter, I'd love to see a comparison of the 550 and a Bryston 4B or other "modern audiophile amps". Do the PL's stand in there, toe to toe with the megabuck Levinsons, Creeks, or whatever else is gracing the cover of Stereophile this month?

Just wonering..................

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'm wondering a lot myself Sutton. I blew one channel in the 4B i have or I'd have it compared by now. When an amp comes through here that I haven't tested before IT WILL BE, and I'll keep records. I know Don's was very QUIET, like church mouse. Freq response was excellent, crosstalk in the -90db range , THD & N was excellent, right up there with the 4B before it blew. SNR was 92 db. Good stuff Sutton. And it still blows me away, the 4B tested real close with Don's Ser II, I would propose no AUDIBLE differences, yet, they SOUND different when ya listen to em. Crazy shit man.
I'm gonna guess the noise floor on the 700 is not as good as the 400, BUT, I haven't gone as far as I can on a 700's wiring yet. I will with your's and Kevin's after I do my Series I. It will be a no-holds-barred, cost-no-object total rewire. Then we'll know.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Bryston is a common emitter output configuration as opposed to the common collector on top in the PL and common emitter on the bottom. My personal opinion is that amps that have common collector (aka emitter follower) on both positive and negative sound the sweetest, followed by the Phase config (common collector/common emitter) followed by the Bryston config (common emitter/common emitter). The best sounding, but not most powerful Phase Linear amp is the PL200 Series 2 which follows the first configuration.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Gotta bump this just so the new folks can see what's in Joe's system....he earned his bona fides....

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
200 watts wouldn't get me off the porch.
I really wanted the PL 200 too...I don't think my neighbors wanna hear Carrie-Anne at '11'.:violent1:

Some eBay farce majeure had one posed on a patch of gravel, if you recall...BAH!

Last edited:

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
WOW !! Glad you did Lee... I know I had seen this but for sure had forgotten !! LOL !!! Joe aint playing !!! Id love to hear those 18's !!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I really wanted the PL 200 too...I don't think my neighbors wanna hear Carrie-Anne at '11'.:violent1:

Some eBay farce majeure had one posed on a patch of gravel, if you recall...BAH!
Yup, almost died seeing the face of that amp stuck in the driveway so he could photo the backside. Maybe I'll work on my PL 200 and photo it in the bathtub with a bathing cap on it.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yup, almost died seeing the face of that amp stuck in the driveway so he could photo the backside. Maybe I'll work on my PL 200 and photo it in the bathtub with a bathing cap on it.
As long as it's playing Rubber Ducky...