Fred's WOPL Project

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I would guess all in is in order from seeing your work. You have two of the finest audio analyzers ever devised already mounted up....
Fred - fantastic work there guy! I agree with Lee - the listening stage is where it's at. Bench level testing provides hard evidence of how the unit under test performs but the listening test has the final say. I love seeing numbers though so if you ever have this tested please post the results here. Again - damn fine work there.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Fred - fantastic work there guy! I agree with Lee - the listening stage is where it's at. Bench level testing provides hard evidence of how the unit under test performs but the listening test has the final say. I love seeing numbers though so if you ever have this tested please post the results here. Again - damn fine work there.
Thanks Nav. Credit to Joe for producing outstanding kits. Fred.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Fred,
is there any particular reason to add volume controls to PL 400s ?
Have you used two 100 Kohm linear pots ?
Ciao
Marco

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Fred,
is there any particular reason to add volume controls to PL 400s ?
Have you used two 100 Kohm linear pots ?
Ciao
Marco
I like being able to adjust the gain on the bi-amp setup in order to fine tune the bass level based on the source material. My DACs do not have bass / treble controls. Also a likely future use is multiple WOPLs on a 5.1 or 7.1 A/V preamp processor with a variety of inputs where tight control of the volume is problematic. Inputs like airplay and bluetooth. The teenagers of the household tend to connect at max volume. Very bad for my nerves. Also scares the cat to death. Not great for the speakers either. My procedure to eliminate this issue is to set max gain on the amp at a reasonable level with the A/V preamp at max gain.

Used 100 kohm audio taper pots. Mouser part 31VJ501-F3.

Fred

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I admittedly had a very hard time bringing myself to drilling holes in those beautiful faceplates.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Well, the teenagers are now twenty-somethings and have moved out to start their own life. Cat is dead. Time moves faster and faster as the years go by.

I like being able to adjust the gain on the bi-amp setup in order to fine tune the bass level based on the source material. My DACs do not have bass / treble controls. Also a likely future use is multiple WOPLs on a 5.1 or 7.1 A/V preamp processor with a variety of inputs where tight control of the volume is problematic. Inputs like airplay and bluetooth. The teenagers of the household tend to connect at max volume. Very bad for my nerves. Also scares the cat to death. Not great for the speakers either. My procedure to eliminate this issue is to set max gain on the amp at a reasonable level with the A/V preamp at max gain.

Used 100 kohm audio taper pots. Mouser part 31VJ501-F3.

Fred

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well, the teenagers are now twenty-somethings and have moved out to start their own live. Cat is dead. Time moves faster and faster as the years go by.
You have that right Fred. I never remember time moving so fast when I was younger. Must be that we are just slower (but I doubt that) and time seems faster.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
As you get older, a year represents a smaller portion of your life, the perception goes from there...

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
It seems faster because the end is getting so much closer! And SO much left to do!
I best get moving.