Former carver owner now PL

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Carver CT-7 pre with FredR built WOPL 400 driving a pair of 1975 Infinity Monitor llAs while my original PL400 gets WOPLed. FredR builds a nice amp by the way.
Sir, are these like your Infinity's? I've always wanted to hear the Walsh tweeter...never seen a set of these in person. FWIW my speakers are very close in age to yours, possibly the very next generation after yours?

You said that you were a fellow Infinity enthusiast. Neat.

Attachments

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Sir, are these like your Infinity's? I've always wanted to hear the Walsh tweeter...never seen a set of these in person. FWIW my speakers are very close in age to yours, possibly the very next generation after yours?

Picture on the left looks exactly like my ESS Rock Monitors. Would love to compare the two. I’ve always wondered how the great Heil compares to the Walsh.

Tagline
Oh my word! I'm not worthy! I have just seen my excaliber!

Seriously, the last time I felt like this was when I watched Shirley Muldowney do a Top Fuel Exhibition run at the Epping, NH dragstrip back in the late '90s.

It was billed as the "Top Fuel under the stars." Of course, I was standing right down by the starting line in order to get the full effect. (& I was running double hearing protection: earplugs + muffs) When she hit it, the flames were taller than I was, and the sound was so loud that it literally blurred my vision.

And in the time it takes to sneeze it was over. Her speed in the traps? A cool 304 mph. (By contrast, at the time my personal best at Epping was trying to break the ton with a near-stock (175+ hp) '84 Mustang GT back in the day. I got it up to 99.6 mph in the traps. Exactly 99.6 mph...3 separate times! Denied! :0)

And the best memory of that evening? If you were willing to stand in line, she would sign that evening's program - no charge! Naturally, I was towards the end of the line, and it was getting a bit late. Even so, Shirley came across as the nicest grandmother/neighbor where you would cut her yard for free in exchange for a slice of her homemade apple pie. It seems that the people who *really* get it done are so decent & naturally humble in person. Not only was I humbled, but since she showed me how to properly play the game in your 'retirement' years she instantly became my new patron saint of how to properly approach aging. (!)

...But I digress. That is one two amazing stack(s) of amplifiers. At the Pink Floyd Animals Tour concert I described in my introduction, I seem to remember the stacks of PL amps that they toured with were plain faced, & didn't have meters on the front?

So the effect was massive...but not beautiful like this.

So why did I write all this after seeing your photo for the 1st time? Because we had this saying that we (learned to) live by:

" No matter how fast you are...there is always someone faster. "

Well played, sir. You are setting the standard.

That rack is the epitome of "The Powerful Difference".

- Nice. -

Last edited:
Tagline
Picture on the left looks exactly like my ESS Rock Monitors. Would love to compare the two. I’ve always wondered how the great Heil compares to the Walsh.
Me too!

FWIW, the first set of 'real' speakers I ever bought was a set of previously-enjoyed ESS AMT-1b's. (NOTE: This was shortly after I got to hear a set of ESS Rock Monitors at a friend of a friend's house.) Couldn't afford new at the time, so I bought a set of AMT-1c 'veil' diaphragms (I think that's how the tech guy referred to them at the time. When I upgraded my Heil AMTs, it went a lot like this.) They served me for maybe a dozen years before I found my Holy Grail set of Infinity QLS-1s.

Lost the 1b's in the divorce. Shame, for they were never, ever played again. (I insisted on joint custody of my daughters, so I used to see them out in the garage of their new digs.)

...But I digress. My lashed-up 1b's sounded good, but (of course) a good friend of mine invested in a set of speakers where the Heil AMT was paired with (2) 15" Gauss woofers in each cabinet. And contrary to what you might expect, his speakers didn't sound 'slow' or 'thick' - instead those speakers just picked up where my 1b's used to start sounding a bit hard/strained & just went from there. They didn't play 'louder'. They simply played bigger.

Effortless. You didn't have to pre-wince for the upcoming musical peak. Nope, you just got to sit there and take Bonham's best at realistic listening levels & just pinch yourself to make sure that you weren't dreaming. (NOTE: Please understand that these memories were formed before I could legally drink, so you have to take all of this with a grain of salt. :0)

Wait a minute, this is where amp people hang out. Those ESS Rock Monitors were being driven by the largest Yamaha Natural Sound amp available at the time. (circa 1980?) It was really & truly clean. Clean enough that my goal became to find a set of ESS speakers that would fit into my 'Lawnboy mercenary' budget. :0)

So I had those first. My Phase Linear amp came later. Then, life was pretty dandy...

And after another buddy heard my ESS/Phase Linear combo? He went out and bought the twin Gauss/Heil speakers AND Phase Linear amplification.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, No matter how fast you are, there is always someone faster.

No problem, whenever it was time for full-scale listening, I just went to my buddy's house.

Life was simple. And good.

To bring this full circle, I've enjoyed both the Heil AMT & Infinity EMITs for years. Given this, I'd love to hear those Walsh tweeters someday.

You simply can't listen to too much music and/or the equipment that shares it with us...to the best of their ability. (!)

Last edited:

stetter

Journeyman

Those are the ones. They love the power. They are very sweet sounding.

Tagline
Those are the ones. They love the power. They are very sweet sounding.
No doubt! In my humble opinion, every Infinity speaker designed/made during the Arnie Nudell era were pure pleasure to live with.

Perfect? No...but you could always tell that he was striving for perfection. And since 2021 dave *still* doesn't know as much as 1975 Arnie did, it only makes me appreciate all the more what he managed to accomplish using the technology at his disposal back in the day.

All things considered, I consider both of us very lucky to be enjoying some of Mr. Nudell's early best reasonable efforts...

Cheers -

PS - It's looks like our speakers have the same soft-dome midrange in common. To me, they are part of the reason why I can start off just playing them for background music while I'm doing something else...and then I find myself sitting in front of them, all sucked into the music...and the original project gets forgotten...again. :0)

Last edited:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Oh my word! I'm not worthy! I have just seen my excaliber!

Seriously, the last time I felt like this was when I watched Shirley Muldowney do a Top Fuel Exhibition run at the Epping, NH dragstrip back in the late '90s.

It was billed as the "Top Fuel under the stars." Of course, I was standing right down by the starting line in order to get the full effect. (& I was running double hearing protection: earplugs + muffs) When she hit it, the flames were taller than I was, and the sound was so loud that it literally blurred my vision.

And in the time it takes to sneeze it was over. Her speed in the traps? A cool 304 mph. (By contrast, at the time my personal best at Epping was trying to break the ton with a near-stock (175+ hp) '84 Mustang GT back in the day. I got it up to 99.6 mph in the traps. Exactly 99.6 mph...3 separate times! Denied! :0)

And the best memory of that evening? If you were willing to stand in line, she would sign that evening's program - no charge! Naturally, I was towards the end of the line, and it was getting a bit late. Even so, Shirley came across as the nicest grandmother/neighbor where you would cut her yard for free in exchange for a slice of her homemade apple pie. It seems that the people who *really* get it done are so decent & naturally humble in person. Not only was I humbled, but since she showed me how to properly play the game in your 'retirement' years she instantly became my new patron saint of how to properly approach aging. (!)

...But I digress. That is one two amazing stack(s) of amplifiers. At the Pink Floyd Animals Tour concert I described in my introduction, I seem to remember the stacks of PL amps that they toured with were plain faced, & didn't have meters on the front?

So the effect was massive...but not beautiful like this.

So why did I write all this after seeing your photo for the 1st time? Because we had this saying that we (learned to) live by:

" No matter how fast you are...there is always someone faster. "

Well played, sir. You are setting the standard.

That rack is the epitome of "The Powerful Difference".

- Nice. -
THANKS! But again, my wife disagrees. :cool:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
“Better” is too vague.

“as if the musicians are in the room with us” is the goal I strive for.

I think I’m close, but that 100-watt class-A balanced Krell project nags at me… I’m thinking 1000VA per transformer and cost estimate is around $3,000 to complete a pair.

It might just be easier to get a pair of these:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/re...MIxOK8iuPc9AIVY4JbCh3wOgOoEAAYAiAAEgKh2_D_BwE

Trouble is, that’ll be six grand…

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
“Better” is too vague.

I think I’m close, but that 100-watt class-A balanced Krell project nags at me… I’m thinking 1000VA per transformer and cost estimate is around $3,000 to complete a pair.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/re...MIxOK8iuPc9AIVY4JbCh3wOgOoEAAYAiAAEgKh2_D_BwE

Yeah, that's the goal Jim. That's why I bought those Ohm Model F's, the closest I had heard till I heard Craig's ML Summits, but i liked the F's better. The K's do their thing VERY WELL, but my room is a bit small to get the soundstage right...still love em to death though...

Tagline
Damn....you guys and your WAF factor problems....with Jani, it's---"If you spend money on the system IT HAS TO SOUND BETTER!!" Amen Babe, I can do this!!
" So sayeth the man who obviously won the SAF (Spouse Approval Factor) jackpot! "

Heaven on Earth? Sure sounds like it! :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
“Better” is too vague.

Nice reviews on that bugger...