Flame Speaker (Build Your Own)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
"Flame Speaker-everything you need to know for building the most revolutionary loudspeaker to sound off in 40 years!"

Could this be a match to your Flame Linear amplifier?

https://www.americanradiohistory.co...cs/1960/Elementary-Electronics-1968-07-08.pdf
see pages 55-59, 106
Would be great if the kids of today had the same type of curiosity that we seemed to have when we were kids. Maybe it was just that we had nothing to do when we were kids and boredom led us to exploring electronics.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Ham radio is what got me into electronics. There are a lot more choices for kids today.

Would be great if the kids of today had the same type of curiosity that we seemed to have when we were kids. Maybe it was just that we had nothing to do when we were kids and boredom led us to exploring electronics.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I was like.. 10 or so when I told the old man I wanted to know how transistors work. Guess it was a clue that I was into that and audio when at 3 years of age I took the old man's stereo apart, hauled it upstairs, got my ass beat and dumb me did it again a week later.

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Just think if these kids had to send stamped self addressed envelopes & wait 8 weeks for the information!
Most of my hobbies started from the classifieds in the back of Popular Science, Mechanics & Electronics magazines.
Now I want to build a flame speaker huge enough to take to the Burning Man festival! Heh...Heh

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I was like.. 10 or so when I told the old man I wanted to know how transistors work. Guess it was a clue that I was into that and audio when at 3 years of age I took the old man's stereo apart, hauled it upstairs, got my ass beat and dumb me did it again a week later.
I took my bike and a Brownie 127 apart. The camera was Humpty Dumpty and my bike just made dad mad as well. Didn't try that again until the last few years when I need them for transportation, actually learning now...

orange

Tagline
Ham radio is what got me into electronics. There are a lot more choices for kids today.
My grandma had an Arvin 3" reel recorder from the early 70s that she and her son used to exchanged tape messages on when he was in Vietnam. When Kennedy was assassinated she and grandpa bought a b/w Zenith to watch the funeral and by the mid 70s it was just a stand for the Kmart set because my uncle had sworn off fixing it or the picture tube was gone. He hated being over there so much that neither he nor grandma complained that I was taping over the messages, she encouraged it in fact. It finally quit working but by that time I was using a shoebox mono Panasonic and close to buying my first stereo gear.

My uncle was one of the earliest salesmen for C-band home satellite systems and an amateur operator, original calls WB7TYU and he took a new callsign a few years before he left the air. I was never impressed when he told me he was doing an EME (earth-moon-earth) but when he patched into the local repeater to call the hospital to ask about his grandfather's condition it hit me as to just how cool and vital it was to be able to do this on a Yaesu in a 1979 Pinto ;)

orange

Tagline
And yes, flame speakers are weird but wonderful, another good use of fire besides BBQ and haircuts.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Great thing about HF ionospheric propagation is it takes no infrastructure. Talk to the other side of the world with just two transceivers.

My grandma had an Arvin 3" reel recorder from the early 70s that she and her son used to exchanged tape messages on when he was in Vietnam. When Kennedy was assassinated she and grandpa bought a b/w Zenith to watch the funeral and by the mid 70s it was just a stand for the Kmart set because my uncle had sworn off fixing it or the picture tube was gone. He hated being over there so much that neither he nor grandma complained that I was taping over the messages, she encouraged it in fact. It finally quit working but by that time I was using a shoebox mono Panasonic and close to buying my first stereo gear.

My uncle was one of the earliest salesmen for C-band home satellite systems and an amateur operator, original calls WB7TYU and he took a new callsign a few years before he left the air. I was never impressed when he told me he was doing an EME (earth-moon-earth) but when he patched into the local repeater to call the hospital to ask about his grandfather's condition it hit me as to just how cool and vital it was to be able to do this on a Yaesu in a 1979 Pinto ;)