First PL-400 Restoration

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Perry ,
In Europe we have 230 V ( nominal ) and labels on PL 400 and 700B are different .
4A and 5A AGC are the right value for export models .
The same for PL 4000 , PL 700 and if my memory
serves me PL 700 has 5X 20 fuses .
Ciao
Marco

dtafil

Journeyman
where are at on your amp dtafil?
Waiting for Digikey to show up with a bunch 'o fuses. Looks to be Thursday, then a dim bulb test. Also want to remove those rear transistor covers and see if they're all still there, and if they're the originals. I'll add a pic(s) later tonight of them.

Also, after thinking about this over the past couple of days, one of you guys earlier had a good point... instead of messing around with the old board, I'll probably just go to a new White Oak board, as well as new filter caps and the speaker protection board. Just waiting to see what the dim bulb test shows and then grab any DC readings from the output terminals. If it's low (I'm guessing less than 50 mV (?) I can try some junk speakers to see what happens (sound for example, lol). Then, time to start ordering boards and parts. After I get my head around this one, there's a 700b waiting in the wings :D

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
XPL 910's were a Darlington configuration....kinda rare nowadays to see those..
They had lots of them XPL 910s in 1976, apparently... Also, someone has left their tracks there with XPLs on the left channel and 2SDs on the right channel (and the aforementioned sil-pads, which were not widely available in 1976).

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
If an XPL910 failed after they became obsolete the only choice was to replace them all in order to meet the requirement that all outputs in a channel be of the same type. The service manual states that P/L would exchange obsolete devices for current devices as long as the devices were not defective. I never took advantage of this policy as I usually found a home for obsolete ones. If they passed the load share test they were good. I matched dates codes when at all possible.

The NEC 2SD555 and 2SB600's were great devices. I saw very few failures of those. It was a major disappointment when they were discontinued.

The picture of the channel with the 555's is a concern because it appears the silpads were reused. I've never seen a silpad fail, but I wouldn't reuse them either. I ran into a lifetimee supply of Berquist silpads years ago at a surplus shop. Im down to about 5000 of them now.

dtafil

Journeyman
Got the fuses in today and replaced all. 2x AGX-8 and the single AGC-8 amp. Failed the dim bulb test w/ a 150 watt bulb. Light stayed on, right meter swung for a few seconds and settled down. I don't recall the left meter moving at all.

So, thinking I'll just order up a new control board and build one, as well as a set of new drivers/outputs,sil-pads, filter caps, plus the DC protection board. Besides a 6-pack, anything else needed? Would like to stay away from the backplane for this build, planning on going all-in for the 700b in the near future instead. Besides the Watts board, looks like everything can be sourced from the WhiteOak website; am I missing anything? Any other things to check before jumping in?

Thanks guys... Dave

Tagline
---6 and 7 days work week, no end in sight
wattsabundant: DC Relay Protection Board

White Oak:
PL400 Capacitor Assembly:
2 x 15,000 uF/100V for amps with die cast cradle

PL400 L14_20 RevE5 Control Board Kit:
Unassembled Kit PL14_20-KIT: build to quasi-comp

Optional: PL400 LED Light Board, 4 Color options

Driver Outputs, sil-pads

Staying with quasi-comp, so no Backplane Board Kit.

Last edited:

dtafil

Journeyman
Parts ordered from Joe and note sent to wattsabundant. Off to finish a Sansui 5000a restoration & clean off the bench this weekend.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Even those were pretty crappy as far as workmanship and have a ton of obsolete parts on them. I just sold 2 more pairs today... Gotta build some more.

dtafil

Journeyman
OK... White Oak control board (to be assembled), filter caps, outputs and Watts Abundant parts are all in... going to clean off the bench this weekend and get going on this. Pictures and (probably) some questions to come. Nice detailed instructions all printed out for reference. :)