Finally got my last turntable!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's awesome, but if that's a quarter on the headshell inflation is a killer :toothy5:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Nice table. Surprised it is your last, unless this is what you always wanted and are just not going to look anymore. I might be there but I'm still open to stepping up if the cost is really low.

I have money attached to my SME, also. Using SBA dollars. Yup, a penny just isn't enough to get the job done anymore.

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
LoL, I think it would take a Hell of a find to beat out the table and arm.. if something really superior showed up I might reconsider!

I need a lighter weight on the SME, or maybe my Grace F9 is just too light. Hence the quarter...lol

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Nice table, bad headshell weight LMAO!!! Reminds me of my parents old Magnavox console with a penny taped to the headshell :iconbiggrin:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
GEEZ! STOP WITH THE COINS ON THE HEADSHELLS ALREADY! Y'MAKIN MY FLESH CRAWL!

(I thought that trick went out with Voice-Of-Music record changers!)

Besides that, you can get an elegant Stanton headshell with a tapped hole and a 2g additional weight:

s-l1600.jpg

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Various weights pop up on ebay from time to time, look at ebay UK also, you have a nice original SME head shell, I can't tell what weight you have on the back, it's cut off in the pic.

I had a Grace F9E in the '80s, Love, love, Loved that cart!! I never had an issue getting proper VTF with my arm. Do you have a gauge? You really can't hurt your Lps too much by tracking heavy, I'm with Mark tho, coins on a beautiful arm makes my skin crawl :eek:

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Various weights pop up on ebay from time to time, look at ebay UK also, you have a nice original SME head shell, I can't tell what weight you have on the back, it's cut off in the pic.

I had a Grace F9E in the '80s, Love, love, Loved that cart!! I never had an issue getting proper VTF with my arm. Do you have a gauge? You really can't hurt your Lps too much by tracking heavy, I'm with Mark tho, coins on a beautiful arm makes my skin crawl :eek:
Here is a pic of the backend.. I understand, but of the time being........ it's functional! :nike: I love the Grace, I have the Soundsmith Ruby OCL on it...
Resized_20161012_003507.jpg

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Well, that is a bit different from mine, I have the series II Improved version, mine has a smaller big weight on the back with a screw hole in the back of it to add the additional weight as needed.

What does the base plate say as to what model it is? You'll have to do some research on it. I will say that adding weight to the headshell messes up the mass of the arm/cart combo, it might sound nice but, it could sound better :D

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well, that is a bit different from mine, I have the series II Improved version, mine has a smaller big weight on the back with a screw hole in the back of it to add the additional weight as needed.

What does the base plate say as to what model it is? You'll have to do some research on it. I will say that adding weight to the headshell messes up the mass of the arm/cart combo, it might sound nice but, it could sound better :D
Agree, that adds mass in an area that the tonearm designer sought to minimize. Good for a low compliance cartridge, bad for a high compliance cartridge. Moving mass is important to keep minimized in order to deal with high compliance cartridges properly.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Agree, that adds mass in an area that the tonearm designer sought to minimize. Good for a low compliance cartridge, bad for a high compliance cartridge. Moving mass is important to keep minimized in order to deal with high compliance cartridges properly.
Increased mass at the head end will also increase skating forces, and there's a limit to how much anti-skating you can dial in. If you're mistracking that badly, something else is wrong- bent cantilever? Chipped stylus point? Or a combination of other things- tonearm geometry is complicated-even the offset of the headshell in combination with the length of the arm can give a bucketfull of problems.

orange

Tagline
GEEZ! STOP WITH THE COINS ON THE HEADSHELLS ALREADY! Y'MAKIN MY FLESH CRAWL!

(I thought that trick went out with Voice-Of-Music record changers!)

Besides that, you can get an elegant Stanton headshell with a tapped hole and a 2g additional weight:

View attachment 26711
I think Larry sent one to me long time ago, no weight tho'

orange

Tagline
I don't think I'll get my last turntable until they bury me. I'll be fixing the ones I have up again this season too...

Philips GA-202
Pioneer PL-4 to give a friend
Sony PS-T25 restoration
Sony PS-4300 fixing the armrest and I will find the bottom if I have to buy one (sometimes the family helps clean and things disappear, or they put it where I'd never look)

Don't laugh, Mom put a Zenith Royal 880 in a high kitchen cupboard and when I finally found two years later by complete chance it the batteries had completely slagged the battery pack. :(

MarkWComer

Tagline
I don't think I'll get my last turntable until they bury me.
I've been cruising around on ebay again looking at Harmon/Kardon ST-7 and -8s again. The quirkiest of all linear trackers, but they're so cool!

orange

Tagline
Heads up, my Pioneer PL-610 is going up for sale.

It's the one that Pacific Stereo went over and handed me 75 percent of it's guts it seemed like rebuilding it, works perfectly, cost me over $300 on a $10 local auction house buy. I'm going to ask somewhere between $150-180 and also list it locally.

Pioneer PL-610.jpg

Last edited: