Erse in Koss

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
After getting a pair of Koss CM/1030's a few months ago, I was advised to replace all the crossover's bi-polar electrolytic capacitors with metalized film caps made by Erse. I looked for cheaper alternatives for the values required but it would have meant ordering from two or three vendors and even though I am not sure it would make any difference, it might have meant mixing brands. I got tired looking.

I was never aware of the company Erse as that name was never extolled upon by contributers to that other forum. Despite the extensive list they offered of available values, I piggy backed some to arrive at the right number.

Won't be sure whether or not these new capacitors sound any better than the bi-polar electrolytics they replaced. It's been about three months since I last heard the speakers. But if nothing else, the crossovers look more business like than they used to.

IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4645.JPG

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I have just made my first order directly from Erse as well. I ordered Erse products from another source though. I used their "sledgehammer" inductors to great effect in my Polk speakers. I guess we will find out how the caps sound as well. I am almost 100% certain that the Snell speakers I have used Erse electrolytic caps. Did you replace the resistors as well ? In the photos It shows that they have not been changed, at least not yet.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Those look a lot like the “solen” branded film caps I used. No complaints with those. They do get pricey as the uF get big though!

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I had two 150uF x 2 speakers I just bought. Guess what happened there...Two electrolytes are going back in bypassed by metalized film. Hell, the x overs had electrolytes to start with. Bought 4 Electro's at 130uF and 4 metalized 30uf's. Some say this will create artifacts. Well, we will see about that. Better artifacts than my wallet being flat.

mlucitt

A 250V capacitor in a crossover? That would equate to an expectation of 7,812.5 Watts at 8 Ohms. You must have quite an amp hooked up to those speakers!

62vauxhall

Tagline
I have just made my first order directly from Erse as well. I ordered Erse products from another source though. I used their "sledgehammer" inductors to great effect in my Polk speakers. I guess we will find out how the caps sound as well. I am almost 100% certain that the Snell speakers I have used Erse electrolytic caps. Did you replace the resistors as well ? In the photos It shows that they have not been changed, at least not yet.
The original resistors are staying since there is no evidence of them ever becoming hot. As far as I know, wire wound cement/cermet/ceramic resistors do not degrade or drft unless abused. Plus, the values are uncommon.

The vendor's websites I browsed had nothing with the same specs. It was suggested to me that they may have been custom made. What I've managed to read about these speakers allege that the crossovers were somewhat radical in their day. If that were so then I suppose "off the shelf" parts might have been unsuitable so made to order resistors made sense.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
A 250V capacitor in a crossover? That would equate to an expectation of 7,812.5 Watts at 8 Ohms. You must have quite an amp hooked up to those speakers!
I agree that 250V is overkill but I did get them to fit on the board with a couple of wood standoffs and hot glue. That manufacturer, Erse, had other voltages below (and above) 250 but the 250V catagory seemed to have the widest capacitance range.

I took direction for capacitor selection from an individual with great fondness for these speakers, claiming to have six pairs of the same model all in use at his home. And an assortment of lower models.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Yep. 250 v and higher the metalized film are. Only guess I have is that some use them in tube amps or may well be that M.F. just hold more voltage and they want to advertise that.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
In crossovers you need high "power factor" because the capacitors actually heat up! Since no one publishes Power Factor specs, you go with the highest voltage, largest size you can get your hands on. Fulton liked to use 1kV oil filled caps in his monster Fulton Modular Monitors. (he also used solenoids from a car parts place as inductors).

62vauxhall

Tagline
Was that crossover introduced to 120V AC? Like from an experiment?

In the 70's all tinsel leads in the speakers I had went nucluar from an amplifier fault and scoarched/melted interior cabinet insulation in spots but the xovers didn't look like that.