EPI fans

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
found an old set in my stash. I need 2 more now. One is a little more faded than the other but they are original isssue

20's.jpg

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Maybe it was EPI badged speakers had black cones and Epicure badged speakers had blue cones?
Could be something like that. I had family and relatives who worked in the original EPI factory in Newburyport, I used to go in from time to time to visit and get a small tour. It was a very laid back environment there. They had a pair of 1000 towers hooked up there, they were great in the days at $1000 each price tag, that was a lot of money in the early 70's. When production ended in Newburyport the guy who owns Human speakers worked for EPI, he bought a lot of the original tooling and machines from the factory floor to make original EPI woofers and tweeters.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Could be something like that. I had family and relatives who worked in the original EPI factory in Newburyport, I used to go in from time to time to visit and get a small tour. It was a very laid back environment there. They had a pair of 1000 towers hooked up there, they were great in the days at $1000 each price tag, that was a lot of money in the early 70's. When production ended in Newburyport the guy who owns Human speakers worked for EPI, he bought a lot of the original tooling and machines from the factory floor to make original EPI woofers and tweeters.

I have 10" and 6" speakers from Huw but no 8"

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Sold Epicure back then and they did have the blue cones in the 5, 10, 20+. I'd take a pair of 3.0 and try to wrestle them into the house. These did not have blue cones but blue was common on earlier Epicures, a line usually found in the stereo store not the warehouse. That metal backed EPICURE tweeter is a sweet unit compared to the plastic and Masonite of the EPI line.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
In my industry, EPI is Electro Plasma Incorporated (they were in California), which was consumed by the company I formerly worked for (Sulzer Metco; currently Oerlikon Metco). They (EPI) made vacuum plasma systems and in those chambers made tungsten rocket nozzles, among tons of other things.

Vacuum chamber production was moved to Switzerland, where I worked with one for a while. I believe the only documented use of cold spray in a vacuum chamber, ever (on this planet anyway).

No, you don't get those 30 seconds of wasted life reading all that, back.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
In my industry, EPI is Electro Plasma Incorporated (they were in California), which was consumed by the company I formerly worked for (Sulzer Metco; currently Oerlikon Metco). They (EPI) made vacuum plasma systems and in those chambers made tungsten rocket nozzles, among tons of other things.

Vacuum chamber production was moved to Switzerland, where I worked with one for a while. I believe the only documented use of cold spray in a vacuum chamber, ever (on this planet anyway).

No, you don't get those 30 seconds of wasted life reading all that, back.

HUH???

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Deliberate hijack warning!!
i have 8 used EPI tweeters with round masonite mount, salvaged from EPI 400 towers $20 each

If you ever get a chance to listen to EPI 150, you will be amazed by the quality.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
20s for when those ebay links die. This is a set I refoamed.
IMG_2879.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
I much prefer the looks of the 20+ with the front lower half in veneer.

Interesting to see the drivers recessed in the 20 but the tweeters appear to be surface mounted in the 20+ shown at the top of the page.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
20s for when those ebay links die. This is a set I refoamed.
View attachment 44019
View attachment 44020
I much prefer the looks of the 20+ with the front lower half in veneer.

Interesting to see the drivers recessed in the 20 but the tweeters appear to be surface mounted in the 20+ shown at the top of the page.
Now I know what it was that I found one day at Goodwill - just one cabinet, with intact tweeters and woofers. I used the tweeters to replace the "million dollar" tweeters in a pair of speakers made in Canada, but I don't remember the brand...but the model was "pro22." They sounded good. Presently, I have a pair of original Genesis speakers with peeling vinyl veneer and non-Genesis woofers. They got bumped out of my shop system the other day by Yamaha NS-5's.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I used the tweeters to replace the "million dollar" tweeters in a pair of speakers made in Canada, but I don't remember the brand...but the model was "pro22."
Energy. They are supposed to sound great but most are missing a tweeter or two, so I have never heard them.