Ed's fault PL400

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Cleaned off the bench, fired it up with a dim bulb tester. Short to the outputs, meters pinned and 50 VDC on the speaker out connectors.

took the transistor covers off, pulled the top three rows, left the drivers in. The output transmitters were all PL909, two were shorted. They were all mounted using silicon pads. Someone has been in here before. The drivers are SJ2741 mounted using wafers and white thermal paste.

next I will check the bios on the control board.

Capacitors seem to be glued in.. haven’t got too far with them.

Attachments

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I ordered replacement output transistors from Joe. When it is repaired I will then order a DC protect relay and new power supply Caps. May drop Joe a message and add the caps to the transistor order.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I ordered replacement output transistors from Joe. When it is repaired I will then order a DC protect relay and new power supply Caps. May drop Joe a message and add the caps to the transistor order.
If you are Bill, recommend you speak fast as the box is sealed and ready to ship tomorrow...

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
6BB204C0-4687-4316-B600-E6B981560D63.jpeg 6BB204C0-4687-4316-B600-E6B981560D63.jpeg Finally got to powering up the PL400.
Replaced blown fuse, I powered it up via a DBT with all of the output transistors removed. All seemed well, so I installed a single row of new outputs. DC offset next to 0 (less than 10mv). Bios high (.5v) but would adj down. Sent 1000hz tone through the amp, looked pretty clean. I then installed the rest of the outputs, adjusted the bios to .35V, sent the 1000hz tone all looked good even with an 8ohm load.
Hooked up some speakers and played music at a low volume for a while (it’s late, half the house is sleeping).
Must say this amp is as clean on the inside as it was on the outside.

what’s next is install power supply capacitors, and a DC protect board, possibly a meter light board from Joe. Then I am going to call this one done.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I noticed that the bottom cover is in place while testing. That's a disaster in the making. A paper towel is a poor insulator. Also the leads on the back of the board should be trimmed. Another disaster when the board is installed and pressing against the wire bundle.