Earbuds

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So, we're down In Phoenix with the grandkids. They have a selection of earbuds, wireless and otherwise in the 20 to 50 dollar range. I was surprised how good they sound. Been listening to Rush's podcasts. Pretty damn nice without commercials.
So......are the hi dollar earbuds that much better?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I've reviewed a bunch of different ear buds - except for the Apple ones - and to get quality you need to spend around 100 clams. Sony makes some killer ones that sound so good I don't know how they do it with such smaller drivers, but Sony gets expensive fast. The ones I use the most are Samsung Galaxy buds. The sound is full, the noise cancellation actually works good and the battery life is excellent. Their Android phone app is simple & effective - an area many other big name companies totally suck at...

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I guess 100.00 ain't so bad. I've seen some on a facebook audiophile group as high as 2300.00. I thought that was ridiculous..
Oh ... yeah ... not sure how anyone could justify that level of pricing.

I was thinking more or less about ear buds in the + $200 realm. In my mind, you have to tick all the boxes and get everything right to justify a pair of itty bitty buds at say, $250.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I have some Shure SE-215s that I got at Guitar Center for $99 a few years back, the sound is great and they isolate real well, but they are uncomfortable for me. I tried them on an airplane and they were even more uncomfortable with my ears popping and what not. I'm an around the ear headphone guy I guess.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
How long before they turn into those bugs in the Star Trek movie? That is, at what point can you not stand them in your ears?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
How long before they turn into those bugs in the Star Trek movie? That is, at what point can you not stand them in your ears?
That's actually a good point. Comfort is key. Another reason I think the Samsung Galaxy buds are outstanding. My ears are sensitive to shape and most the in-ear designs out there grow uncomfortable in 30 minutes or less. The Galaxy buds fit comfortably snug without much bulk and the changeable ear pieces were perfect for the holes in my head ... :cool:

I can wear them at the gym for a full hour and pretty much forget that I'm wearing them. So buying the buds from somewhere local, where you can return them easily if they aren't for you, is an important consideration.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Wouldn't use wireless buds stuck in my ears, too close to what's left of my brain. Over the ear headphone guy myself. I have used the Apple wired buds in the computer but for listening to music, not.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I prefer over-the-ear headphones for serious listening too - but wearing those at the gym or taking them on an airplane for a long flight sucks.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
For me it's my ill formed ear canal opening, I can't get buds to stay in!! I guess I could get the ear wax to build up...EWWW!! There is a company in MT that specializes in all things headphones. I can't remember their name, I'm sure someone here can point you their way. You could get one of their mini headamps and some over-the-ear cans.

Welcome to AZ, bet it's nice to see the grand babies :cool:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
They work great for catching Rush's podcast while walking...
I just saw Geddy Lee interviewed by Dan Rather, very cool. On the AXS Channel, he interviewed a bunch of rock muscians, they broadcast Fleetwood Mac live in Boston, then talked to Lynsay, They keep adding these cool music channels to my listing guide...
I know which Rush ya ment. ;)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
For me it's my ill formed ear canal opening, I can't get buds to stay in!! I guess I could get the ear wax to build up...EWWW!! There is a company in MT that specializes in all things headphones. I can't remember their name, I'm sure someone here can point you their way. You could get one of their mini headamps and some over-the-ear cans.

Welcome to AZ, bet it's nice to see the grand babies :cool:
Yep,daughter is having medical issues so it's not all fun this time..