Dual...Sometimes Twice the Hassle

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Months ago, I was given a Dual CS 627Q. The lift mech is frozen, but I can deal with that. The second of the "dual" problems is that the Ortofon cartridge is integrated with a plastic piece that locks into the headshell. The cartridge was broken off, but a bit of super glue fixed it. The upper part has two lugs that lock in when you swing the finger lift into place, and one is broken. I'm actually considering super glue for that problem too. Should I do that?

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Marco, thanks for the quick response! The ebay ad specifies that their adapter is not suited for the CS 627 Q. They also state that a slight modification may make it work, but I don't really care to spend that much coin and then try a risky mod. Anyway, I had already seen their ad.

I am considering clamping it with the smallest-size Acco clips - fastening them and removing the "handles." It would be ugly.

I prefer to avoid the super glue, and may try silicone first, if it comes to that.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Here's another option: I have another Dual with a ULM arm, and it is not really worth fixing up, but it does have a slightly different version of the headshell/cartridge as the CS 627Q. I wonder if I could pull the entire assembly off one arm, and put it on the other...

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Wish me luck! I put a dial caliper to both arm tubes, and they are the same diameter. Further, both headshells attach the same way. So...I pulled the headshell and wires off the other Dual (a 1258) and now for the hard part: transferring it to the CS 627Q.