Dual 500 on the Bay

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Only partially, with the control board, Glen "Grapple saw" has done several.
That unit looks complete and unmolested. Best BIN price I've seen in a very long time. Too bad about the scratches, still, a reasonable price

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Ya know ... I love this forum and so many of you have increased my knowledge of a hobby that I used to enjoy many years ago. Now that I have a little spare time in retirement, I've gotten the bug to do another WOPL amp. There is a 700B that I have within my grasp, but then I saw George's posting his morning. Perused the various posts of D500 restores out here...Glen's work in particular... and boom.

These words Glen posted last year could never be more true: "I will get people to move to 500’s"

yup...I bought it!
Al

George S.

Nice! It looked like a good project amp. Repop face plates are out there, pricey, but available. Looking forward to a thread on your new adventure.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks George ... I have a Carver C1 that is currently at the front of the restore queue. Track season is in full swing and I do want to put a good effort into that document we discussed. So in the meantime I will have a lot to learn about this D500 and gather parts in preparation of the project.

Stay tuned ;)

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Man that went cheap! Gonna be looking forward to seeing this one get the treatment…..
For sure it will be WOAD'ed to the extent Joe has parts for it...the rest will be what I can learn from Glen's notes. There are too few of these out there that it should not get the best that can be offered.

Good job Al!

Glad it benefitted the community here, and not some flipper out there...
For sure, Jim, I debated hitting the BIN button but the thought of a flipper crossed my mind and so I had to do it.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Ya know ... I love this forum and so many of you have increased my knowledge of a hobby that I used to enjoy many years ago. Now that I have a little spare time in retirement, I've gotten the bug to do another WOPL amp. There is a 700B that I have within my grasp, but then I saw George's posting his morning. Perused the various posts of D500 restores out here...Glen's work in particular... and boom.

These words Glen posted last year could never be more true: "I will get people to move to 500’s"

yup...I bought it!
Al
Congrats on that acquisition! Looks to be a fine original. Glad it went to a Phoenix member

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Man, I was a day late on that one. Would have bought it for more than the selling price. Great score and definitely worth the “ lightning “ upgrade that Glen has pioneered. Just make sure you stretch and prep your lower back when lugging these beasts around, they are ridiculously heavy and I have literally thrown my back out a couple times pulling them in and out of my system.
Congrats.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Man, I was a day late on that one. Would have bought it for more than the selling price. Great score and definitely worth the “ lightning “ upgrade that Glen has pioneered. Just make sure you stretch and prep your lower back when lugging these beasts around, they are ridiculously heavy and I have literally thrown my back out a couple times pulling them in and out of my system.
Congrats.
I saw that ...a whopping 70lbs! My delivery guy has cussed me out for packages weighing less.

I'm in no rush to tear into this project - and have been taking notes from Glen's postings on his restorations of the D500. Very impressed with his work. Not looking forward to building a backwall, as the WO boards for the 400-II were absolute works of art that made the task foolproof.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I saw that ...a whopping 70lbs! My delivery guy has cussed me out for packages weighing less.

I'm in no rush to tear into this project - and have been taking notes from Glen's postings on his restorations of the D500. Very impressed with his work. Not looking forward to building a backwall, as the WO boards for the 400-II were absolute works of art that made the task foolproof.
You can do it

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm a day late on this one, but with the beautiful weather in the Northeast, been earning points with the XYL so that I might have a little peace over here in the Mancave. The D500 off ebay, which I have to thank George for posting out here, arrived yesterday. I've already been in touch with Glenn, Dennis and of course Joe to source parts needed to WOPL this beast. While there is no WOAD Backplane for this unusual beast, Glenn will be building the backplane in Full Complimentary mode - from scratch, as he has done so often. My hats off to you, Glen! When I look at his work, it reminds me of a plane of core storage that was hand-stitched by technicians for the 360 mainframes .... precision and persistence.

Anyhow ... some pictures. I will start a thread when I get around to tearing this down and will try to be vigilant on the rebuild.

QUIZ Bonus Question: Seller said one channel was not working. Anybody care to hazard which one? Oh - and here's a hint, it was not the one with 14A fuses in the B+ and B- sockets!

Attachments