Dr. Bo

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
LOL What can I say about Joel. We have had some pretty big deal even before Phoenix. If I wanted to sell something I could go to Joel and get a good price. Selling or buying. He has always been above board with me. You guys need to take advantage of the sellers you have here. Tell Joel your a member of Phoenix it changes. For a Yankee and a DR. We agree a lot on things. Joel posts some good reading on FB.

Larry

PS take care my good friend

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
Thanks Larry. I just noticed this thread tonight. With my profession, my four kids, my eBay store............ I don't have the time I would like to just troll the net. Glad to hear that Phoenix and Tapeheads are "Happy Together"

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have a very small collection of special cassettes. Joel, through a TH friend (Stuart), helped me with that collection in supplying a Pioneer-branded cassette. Fast service, well-packaged, and my Italian discount got me a good price for this tape from Joel. Thank you!

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Good experience with The Doctor- just got a couple of white package TDK SA 100 for my collection. No hassles, no B.S..

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have a very small collection of special cassettes. Joel, through a TH friend (Stuart), helped me with that collection in supplying a Pioneer-branded cassette. Fast service, well-packaged, and my Italian discount got me a good price for this tape from Joel. Thank you!

Thanks for showing me what it looks like-my M1, C1 and C1a from him are wrapped!

I hope to have a CT-F650 rebelted/running in time to break one open on my birthday (June 26)!

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
I made a deal a few months back with a guy in Spain or Italy, I can't remember which; for some 400 Pioneer tapes. It is the only way to do this ebay thing. Hopefully I don't have to endure the "flipper" rants that infest the other site. Just to give an example of the risks, I just got in 200 BASF tapes, and 50 of them had the front wrapper ripped off. Imagine how that affects the price per tape. A few months ago, I got in 100 Philips tapes, and EVERY ONE was damp and rusted out. It's amazing what some people will try to get away with.

As I posted over at Tapeheads, I am setting up a new tape "warehouse". It's a beautiful space for 525 a month plus utilities. I bought 25 shelving units, and 300 Small and large storage boxes. My ebay person just told me I need another 12 shelving units and 400 more boxes. The sorting and storing has begun, and when it's done, I should have a fairly well organized tape set up that will make it much easier to list tapes.

I thought about setting up a webpage to help me save on ebay costs, but then ebay just changed the game for power sellers. Now I can list up to 2500 items a month for a set fee of 180.00 per month plus the fees for items sold. I will be saving hundreds of dollars a month, and listing hundreds more tapes than before. This will be interesting.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Sounds good. Too bad about the crappy tapes you bought. I suppose some sellers think the fact that they are rare outweighs the fact that they are rusted out or unwrapped.

I don't have a problem with flippers per se cause that is how all businesses operate. They buy an either add value or are able to source things in bulk quantities and then sell them in smaller quantities for a profit.

Last edited:
Tagline
Root beer connoisseur.
A few months ago, I got in 100 Philips tapes, and EVERY ONE was damp and rusted out. It's amazing what some people will try to get away with.
Wow - that really blows! :silent:

Even though Philips aren't generally considered good-quality tapes, it's a shame that any sealed blank is stored in conditions like that. You'd think that someone who was selling them to you, of all people, would know better...

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
that is just one of the risks of doing this. I haven't shown a profit in 5 years. I enjoy it as a hobby, and I do hope that it will make money some day. Worse problems are when the seller never sends anything, and you are left high and dry. Another annoyance is the buyer/trader who offers up cheap tapes in a one for one trade for extremely rare tapes, and then publicly gripes when I tell them no.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I am getting low on BASF Chrome Extra II cassettes. Are these some of the BASF tapes you bought in bulk?

Nando.

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
I am getting low on BASF Chrome Extra II cassettes. Are these some of the BASF tapes you bought in bulk?

No, I got in 400 BASF 353 tapes. SO far 54 are damaged. They are brand new but with torn wrappers. If anybody is interested let me know.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks, dr. bo. I can't wait to see your new store up and running.

Nando.

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
revisiting this thread, and it was nostalgic to read about the early days of my warehouse. At the moment, I now lease two rooms, with about 1600 sq. ft., have 62 +/- metal storage shelves ( 12 or so that are much larger). The initial plastic shelving units are long gone. And the ebay arrangement now allows me to list up to 12,500 items- plus my cost is now 60.00 a month. Also I have my eye on a third room, but this is currently unavailable.

As I type, I am awaiting 450 tapes from Italy, 120 from Mexico, 2--400 from Scandinavia, a few hundred more from Japan.

In the last couple months I have received 400+ from Japan, 200 from Lithuania (!), 300 from Mexico, 300 from Russia, etc. etc.

At the time that I keep reading about the scarcity of blank tapes, I find almost the opposite is true. The difference is, I think, that they are available, but that the sources want to sell in large quantities, and do not want to sell a few at a time. This is ok for me with my ebay store, but probably quite difficult for the average collector.

My current headache is that I need to install a new Air conditioner in one of my warehouse rooms!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
revisiting this thread, and it was nostalgic to read about the early days of my warehouse. At the moment, I now lease two rooms, with about 1600 sq. ft., have 62 +/- metal storage shelves ( 12 or so that are much larger). The initial plastic shelving units are long gone. And the ebay arrangement now allows me to list up to 12,500 items- plus my cost is now 60.00 a month. Also I have my eye on a third room, but this is currently unavailable.

As I type, I am awaiting 450 tapes from Italy, 120 from Mexico, 2--400 from Scandinavia, a few hundred more from Japan.

In the last couple months I have received 400+ from Japan, 200 from Lithuania (!), 300 from Mexico, 300 from Russia, etc. etc.

At the time that I keep reading about the scarcity of blank tapes, I find almost the opposite is true. The difference is, I think, that they are available, but that the sources want to sell in large quantities, and do not want to sell a few at a time. This is ok for me with my ebay store, but probably quite difficult for the average collector.

My current headache is that I need to install a new Air conditioner in one of my warehouse rooms!
How's business on Ebay?