Down a new audio rabbit hole...

TravK

New Around These Parts
WOPL Sniffer, appreciate the nostalgia thoughts...think it'd be a fun exercise to chalk up the $ i've spent because of fond memories. Ain't necessarily money poorly spent, just sayin'...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I like the fact this intro thread is taking some fun twists and turns. Tubes! I actually punted my long time solid state integrated (pioneer sx-3900) out of the main system in favor of a fairly anonymous chinese kt88 push-pull (oldchen k3-kt88) and i've been seriously enjoying it...some proportion of it is the visuals, ooh, look at the pretty glow. :) I'll cycle the PL 400 in at some point, I'm sure, after at least the speaker-safety mods.

A Carver c-4000 just sold on the auction site, a shade over 5 and a half franklins. That 5000t that J!m pointed out, I gotta figure it goes to the same strata...thoughts?

Never heard of a 5000t but I get well over that for my C-4000 and 4000t pre's. The 4000t's go for more

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Mine was a 1964 Nova station wagon with a straight 6 engine. Loved it because it was 'mine' and I didn't know much about anything else.
I agree, with the internal effects loops, the solid state guitar amps can sound like tube amps, and it would be hard to tell it from a real tube amp.

TravK

New Around These Parts
FWIW, WOPL Sniffer, and everybody that's tangled with 'em, I was able to get clean stereo sound out of my PL4000 preamp by swapping the 'left' half of my RCA cable into the "Left Rear" output Jack of the 4000, as opposed to the "Left Front", then moving front panel switch to "4-channel" position...not gonna think too hard about it, lest my brain start bleeding, but it sounds pretty good in the garage. Figure I keep it like that for when I get kicked out of the house for the music getting too loud.