Difference between metal film resistors

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference between branded resistors and Chineese resistors. If we say two resistors of the same value, 1/4w, 1% or 5% tolerance, does really matters when it comes to decks and other audio equipment?
I use to buy Vichay in a values I need but I would like to buy a kit and slip chase different values all the time. Neither Mouser or DigiKey have some interesting kit, but I've found these at Amazon. What are your opinions for such resistors, are they suitable for audio?

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I bought a cheap 5% carbon film resistor assortment some years back. Some resistors were way out of spec (<20%). They are inferior to Vishay in build quality too. How do they compare in sound? I don't know.

I do a lot of work on old radios where precision resistors aren't needed. Something like a phono preamp needs 1% resistors in the equalization network. When I went through my Carver C-1 I didn't touch any of the resistors, which are carbon types and likely 5 or 10%. Some guys replace all the resistors with 1% metal films, Not me.......

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Thank you all for the answers. Question was about differences between cheap and branded metal film resistors, used for audio. I'm wondering if anyone have used those from Amazon/eBay. Would be happiest If there was some store that sells resistors and othher stuff here in Stockholm, but my only/best choice is to order from Mouser or DigiKey and then I have to order for at least 50€ to get free shipping.
Have already learned myself to stay away from carbon resistors, so that's out of question.

Some metal resistors can be inductive, that can make funny waveforms if used as replacement.
That was exactly what I was wondering. So, same type doesn't mean that they are all made of a same materials and can behave different ways.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
OK, seems that nobody would bet on Bojack and other Chinese resistors from Amazon.
Was searching around and it seems that some Royal Ohm resistors sold by Taydealelectronics should be good resistors. Besides, those are crazy cheap, 0.015$/pc and can be ordered min 10pcs which is just great since that I would buy 10 or 20 or each of most values. Hope that shipment to EU is not 100$ :)
(direct link to metal film resistors).
Anyone have an experience with Royal Ohm and that seller?

BTW, are these values OK for making a kit (of course, 1% or 5%, not 20%).
Ohm: 100, 150, 220, 270, 330, 390, 470, 510, 560, 680, 820
kOhm: 1, 1.5, 1.8, 2.2, 2.7, 3.3, 3.9, 4.7, 5.6, 6.8, 8.2, 100, 150, 180, 220, 270, 330, 470, 560, 680, 820 and 1MOhm

Totally 33 values and if we say 1/4W, 1% 500pcs for 7.5$ is literally nothing.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Found these Yageo which are general purpose, should be fine. Maybe not to buy a 200pcs, but maybe 100, since that I have to buy some capacitors too :(

Last edited:

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Here's a good example of a Yageo 1% metal film resistor. It's shown on the package as 2.49 K ohm 1/4 watt. Measures 2.489 K ohm on the DER EE. Outstanding quality and reasonably priced.
Building the mute boards for the preamps.
Thank you very much for informing. It's always good when someone with personal experience gives opinions.
I agree that resistors are OK priced unless the one need couple hundreds of them :) I've bought Vishat 1% couple of times, and I was never thinking about the price since that it was always 10 or 20pcs but now when I was thinking to make a kit with about 30 values, 10-20 of each... if that was only resistors I need :)
I will order YAGEO only those I really need, but will place an order on Tayado and see if those Rotal Ohm are something to have. I see that Mouser or DigiKey are selling that brand resistors but as SMD, not TH.
Of course I'll report here when I got them.