Diagnosing my new Nikko Gamma V...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nikko V

I knew it had a tuning problem but it wasn't expensive...

Not finding a signal, the synthesized tuner is working otherwise.

If you tweak the muting threshold knob and held it then it will briefly and weakly light the first lamp if the signal strength meter so one might expect a bad alignment or antenna input or god forbid the IF or the RF amp.

I'm not fiddling with it for the moment, I'm just happy to have it right now, unless you tell me to do something for you.

Other than that one broadcast studio tuner I saw once this is about the most freaking huge FM only
set I've ever seen!

I have the SM from hifiengine already. having never used a signal generator yet like I said, I'm not making this the first one.

At present, I moved the Nikko into the living room, and now I'm hooked into the secondary line amp from the aerial and I've gotten the signal meter up to nearly two prior, then it was nearly 5/5 and steady but no audio.

Out of curiosity I tried the headphone amp outputs...

All I get now is white noise/hash with a whine that goes up or down in pitch and no audio.

The meter stays lit at almost five lights, doesn't increase or decrease, regardless of where it's tuned.

http://elektrotanya.com/nikko_audio_gamma_v_sch.pdf/download.html SCHEMATIC

http://elektrotanya.com/nikko_gamma_v_tuner.pdf/download.html SERVCE MANUAL

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
My friend Warren (Dr. Audio on TH and AK) suggested I check the power supply and if that wasn't it it might be the front end...

Something I just noticed... The left channel output on the headphones was about a third of the level of the right...swapping the RCA cables proved this.

Headphone amp output with whiter noise is the only sound I can get.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A tuner takes an RF signal generator and a couple other specialized pieces of test gear. I would say send it to someone that knows what they are doing....

orange

Tagline
I already HAVE an SG, Radio Analyst, Tektronix 465M and a few TV related devices, such as the TV Analyst. Most of it is B-K Precision, some Hickok.

AND 3-4 DVM/DMMs, can check caps and transistors.

Punker X is fine, but I'm out of bread and meat, will be eating beans for a week. Dr. Audio will be helping me with some advice along the way, he's been my friend for ten years.

Last edited: