Denon DP 1200

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Opinions please.

Good looking, good numbers but have never heard one or know anyone that has. Reasonably priced compared to some out there.

Would appreciate any info my fellow Phoenicians have to offer.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
it's a 2 1/2 hr drive, posted on Craigslist for $300 w/no pictures. Been listed for 3 weeks, might have to make a phone call!! Figuring in my drive I may get him down some. I think this would be an upgrade from my Dual 510 (which I am completely happy with but sooner or later its gonna crap out).

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The only bad thing I've heard is that the speed control stops controlling the speed. Aged components or dirt may be the culprit. I had a PL 8000 turntable go crazy once- lost control and spun like a top, but the logic control prevented needle drop. Wouldn't stop with the arm carriage in home position, either.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I saw a Sony in a thrift store once that only did about 70 rpm, and you need 85 rpm to play 78s too fast on the radio.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Did a bit more research following up on comments made. While being a well regarded TT it seems that the servo control is the weak link on this older TT. Difficult and expensive to fix, probably beyond my ability, think I'll take a pass. Still like the mechanics of Duals, fairly easy to work on. Maybe a quartz lock? Still hunting......

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Fish, if all else fails, I have a pretty nice Onkyo CP-1057f Integra suspension straight arm TT that I can hook you up with. I thought it was pretty damn quiet using a AT 125 cart that was pretty detailed tracking at 1g. The suspension is very sensitive though! Breathe on it and it will move so a solid stand/table is a must (if you have kids LOL). I have read mixed reviews on it, It's a complicated turntable as for build but I have had zero issues with mine. Even the Search function works. I read a review about the audible rumble but I ain't hearing it myself. You would think with the preamp I am using and a WOPL would have conveyed that but it is as quiet as a church mouse to me. Anyway, the specs say otherwise with regard to rumble, it's very good. Many other reviewers praise it for value/quality for what you paid when new. I think it was one of the TOTL Onkyo models offered at the time (late 80s???)

I think the cart used is the main thing with this TT, it needs a good cart. The lighter tracking, the better

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200677

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/onkyo/cp-1057f.shtml

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Thanks Ron. I'm searching for the future. If my Dual was in failure I would jump at the Onkyo....looking ahead for an upgrade though. Sights have been set a long time for a Linn Sondek or Thorens TD160, good buys are harder and harder to find so I was setting the bar a bit lower.

Really appreciate that someone here always steps up to help someone. That's the success of Phoenix!