Denon DCD-1520 DVD player skip

stetter

Journeyman
I have a Denon DCD-1520 DVD player. I have had it since new. Non smoking house, We had stopped smoking pot even so not that type of issues. Any advise for skipping DVD player. It does it for the first few tracks, then 4 or 5 tracks in all is well. Have read a few suggestions off of the google world. Just looking for advice I trust with the advice I can get on this forum. I am wondering about grease type for laser guide rail lube . Cleaning fluid and any other hints. Any one know where I could find repair type manuals for Denon.

stetter

Journeyman
What it does is plays 30 seconds on the first track, then jumps back to the start or maybe 5 seconds into the track. If you push skip a minute or so it might play a minute than skip back 20 seconds and play that 20 or thirty second over and over again until you intervene. It will do this type of behavior on the first 1 to 5 tracks. if you start say number 7 or 8 or any further in on the cd it works just fine. Hope that make sense

stetter

Journeyman
The disc start playin the first track. About a minute in, it skips back , Maybe 20 or 30 seconds and it will play that 20 or 30 seconds over and over until you push skip forward a ways. than a little latter in the track it will do the same thing over, If you push skip to a track latter in the disc usually about 7 or so. the player plays fine no skipping. any better

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, and I understand what you are saying, but it still makes no sense....why it is doing what it is doing, makes no sense..

stetter

Journeyman
Some answers on the web mention dry grease on the laser rails . I guess it is time to look under the cover. Any ideas about right type grease to use or cleaning fluid type for lens?

stetter

Journeyman
I will Tomorrow. Have to turn on the heat in the shop/garage. I will have to plow first, got 4" now and still snowing. Sure glad the weather man said less that one inch coming, at lest I could sleep better last night. Just sitting down to play guitar with the better half. don't get to do this as much as we use to.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
We use Teflon powder suspended in alcohol since any “wet” lube attracts the dust, and our dust is often tungsten carbide… (can you say: lapping compound?)

Try to determine the lens material. Most are plastic unfortunately and cleaning is not easy. I think you should clean it-even if that’s not the root cause you’re going to be right there and it certainly won’t hurt to remove a little cataract.

White lithium grease is what I use on CD tray parts but may be too viscous for a dvd sled rail. If it’s plastic on steel, it might be best to clean the rail and run it dry, or maybe a nice hard wax on the rails.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I like the old school swing arm players. Single beam and simple mechanics. The CDM9 Pro was the last single beam swing arm…

stetter

Journeyman
Finally found time to open up the Denon. I have a low end cell so pictures suck but if you look at the one with the close up of the lens you can see the issue I think. Cleaned it and the rails, lubed the rails and so far no issues with skipping. Since I pulled it out of the system and put a Denon 1920 dvd/super audio cd player in to the system I am going to fix what people call the lazy tray issue. need to find a good replacement square sided rubber drive belt. By the way, the older 1520 cd player weighs in at 24 pounds and the newer 1920 player might weigh 6 pounds with a disc in it. Resized_20211220_163019.jpeg Resized_20211220_163047.jpeg Resized_20211220_163137(1).jpeg Resized_20211220_163217(1).jpeg Resized_20211220_163250.jpeg belt.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Finally found time to open up the Denon. I have a low end cell so pictures suck but if you look at the one with the close up of the lens you can see the issue I think. Cleaned it and the rails, lubed the rails and so far no issues with skipping. Since I pulled it out of the system and put a Denon 1920 dvd/super audio cd player in to the system I am going to fix what people call the lazy tray issue. need to find a good replacement square sided rubber drive belt. By the way, the older 1520 cd player weighs in at 24 pounds and the newer 1920 player might weigh 6 pounds with a disc in it. View attachment 58906 View attachment 58907 View attachment 58908 View attachment 58909 View attachment 58910 belt.
Cost reduction strikes again :)

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
What it does is plays 30 seconds on the first track, then jumps back to the start or maybe 5 seconds into the track. If you push skip a minute or so it might play a minute than skip back 20 seconds and play that 20 or thirty second over and over again until you intervene. It will do this type of behavior on the first 1 to 5 tracks. if you start say number 7 or 8 or any further in on the cd it works just fine. Hope that make sense
Have you checked to see that your wife wasn't hiding behind you with the Remote Control?