Denon CD player

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Marco, what model of Denon are you using? I am using a Denon DCD-3300 in my main system, and it is a 1987 unit. It skipped a lot when I first got it, but then got better. It is now skipping on some CD's, and it seems to be specific to particular CD's. I would just chuck it if it were a lesser machine, but it seems to have been TOTL at the time, and it sounds really good, except for the occasional skipping. Hifiengine lists the transport as "KSS-123A," so I wonder if that could be replaced...? I don't want to start into the transport to lube anything without some advise from someone.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
At present I don't remember the model , but months ago I replaced the Sony Ks 123a optical unit .
The situation is "ok" or "no disc " .
Adjusting focus trimmer , it's a suicide for me .
My opinion is that the spare optical unit is not o.k . ( made in China ) ,
but I'm not sure .I think that the solution is changing the ks 123a again . ( with a genuine Sony made in China )
Any suggestion about adjustments , before buying a new one ?
Ciao
Marco

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Marco, since my previous post, I found this thread on Audiokarma:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/solved-denon-dcd-1500-ii-disc-not-reading.354435/

It may be of help.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Marco, I tried the advise in the Audiokarma thread. Took off the stabilizer arm, cleaned 30-years worth of what looked like compacted soot off the fiber ring, cleaned up the "soot" around the area, cleaned & lubed the laser rails and the loading mechanism. Everything works better, there are no skips (!) and it still sounds great. Laz is happy.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I find CD drives primitive or maybe more accuratelt 'minimalistic' compared to laserdisc machines, but I would really love to get 'Elephant Parts' out of my LD-700 before sending it off for repairs...

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Solved only with compressed air and isopropyl alcohol .
Sometimes the simplest solutions work .
Thank you and ciao !
Marco

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The guy I got the Cervin Vega A-2200 power amp has this Denon Denon DN-650F for $10, I hope to pick it ip tomorrow at the fleamarket. I think he also has an Alesis unit that runs with it? Anyway, here is what it looks like, apparently a broadcast quality unit

Lazarus Short

Tagline
The guy I got the Cervin Vega A-2200 power amp has this Denon Denon DN-650F for $10, I hope to pick it ip tomorrow at the fleamarket. I think he also has an Alesis unit that runs with it? Anyway, here is what it looks like, apparently a broadcast quality unit

Yummy!