Deck for recording

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
While I can modify easily a circuit when there are guidelines, I have very limited means to design a mod. So, I stay with the documented modifications. The only deck I would upgrade the heads would be the 965 to amorphous and that's because Matsushita has a version with such heads so there is description in the service manual.

I don't care for exploiting the full potentials of the type iv tapes. I'm ok with what dynamic range the 965 offers with the permalloy heads. And as Alex had said, these particular heads are of great quality and if I remember well, they can take a lot of juice out of the metal tapes. What I care is the musicality. The open air to the music. I want my deck to pass this "air" to the tape. So I take your word, as I take Bob's too, that the 965 is indeed a good recorder.

I have not made the HX pro mod. I don't (want to) have any access to TH (I had asked them to suspend my account, for personal reasons) so I have to search somewhere else for the mod instructions. Too pitty so much work from Alex is documented there and gone for good. Especially when it comes to Technics.
as soon as possible, I will send you detailed instructions for the HX-PRO mod on the B965, including (my) pics of the actual mod on the REC amp PCB and which were never shared there at TH.
It's a very easy mod.
You just need a couple 470 Kohm resistors and, if you like, a piece of heat shrinking tube.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Happy new year, Vince!

That would be great.
Thank you, one more time!
was looking for a Happy New Year thread, in fact.

Happy 2024 my friend and all of my friends :D

Had also taken a few interesting food pics these latest weeks and must still post them.

Btw, these holydays I am working on my just modded AIWA AD-F880 where I added a lot more mods, including putting amorphous heads in place of original permalloys.
Putting it back together just now... fingercrossed.
If it works as intended, I will make a quite long and detailed post about it. ;)

Masca72

New Around These Parts
Good morning, in my experience the older recorders from the 70s are the most difficult to manage, the more rebellious ones can require months for complete restorations, but once restored they can record superbly and truly realistically, like my BIC T3 for example ; or a good model could be Sony TC-K71/81 which are also rational restoration bases, TEAC C-3X or Tascam 122 first version are also excellent, these are all models I know (they have passed through my hands), great performers with Superb quality heads. Going towards more recent models, integrated circuit technology has lowered costs and improved precision, the second generation models provide more controlled, more precise recordings but, if I may say so, the strong realism effect diminishes; a good model I know is definitely Nakamichi CR-3, it records crystal clear, strong and is rationally built. Even good Sony ES models with laser amorphous heads should be taken into strong consideration; Yamaha K-1000, K1020, KX-800 and 1200 I think they are optimal, I haven't owned them but they are models that I would like to try; I would avoid Pioneer CT-F757 and similar, they have an interesting mechanical group but otherwise they are plastic, boring recording and playback, slow as microdynamics. Also avoid Teac 5000/7000 etc. they are built very well but the sound is really confused and muddy, I hope the owners don't hold it against me.... There are many models and each one has precise characteristics so I have limited the field to the ones I know good to give you a valid suggestion, cordially.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Good morning, in my experience the older recorders from the 70s are the most difficult to manage, the more rebellious ones can require months for complete restorations, but once restored they can record superbly and truly realistically, like my BIC T3 for example ; or a good model could be Sony TC-K71/81 which are also rational restoration bases, TEAC C-3X or Tascam 122 first version are also excellent, these are all models I know (they have passed through my hands), great performers with Superb quality heads. Going towards more recent models, integrated circuit technology has lowered costs and improved precision, the second generation models provide more controlled, more precise recordings but, if I may say so, the strong realism effect diminishes; a good model I know is definitely Nakamichi CR-3, it records crystal clear, strong and is rationally built. Even good Sony ES models with laser amorphous heads should be taken into strong consideration; Yamaha K-1000, K1020, KX-800 and 1200 I think they are optimal, I haven't owned them but they are models that I would like to try; I would avoid Pioneer CT-F757 and similar, they have an interesting mechanical group but otherwise they are plastic, boring recording and playback, slow as microdynamics. Also avoid Teac 5000/7000 etc. they are built very well but the sound is really confused and muddy, I hope the owners don't hold it against me.... There are many models and each one has precise characteristics so I have limited the field to the ones I know good to give you a valid suggestion, cordially.
Totally agree, my friend.

And your BIC T3 is a very nice beast of a deck, oldschool in the good way and with some impressive heads.
It also has the bonus of the double speed, btw! :cool:

Anyways, troubleshooting and restoration was a bit of a long nightmare, but a totally worthy effort.

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
that kind of Sony dual capstan DD mechanism is simply wonderful.
I still prefer the simplicity of the AR350 transport. When replace/repair the idler gear it's just bulletproof. From the 16 Technics I have (4 dual capstan and 3 dual well autoreverse) not anyone of them needed a belt or a pinch roller replacement. They still run on originals. And they return some exceptional w&f numbers. One of my 965 goes as low as 0.0175 - 0.02% rms with ANT's testing tape - that's Dragon's territory. And some of the single capstan return a nice 0.025 - 0.03%. Even the cheap autoreverse, officially rated at 0.1% give a low 0.06 - 0.07%. Every single one of them returns w&f numbers below the official specs.

My other favorite transport is Sony's TCM-190. Yes, I know it has bad reputation but on my deck it never gave me any problem.