Deck for recording

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
Hello!

I'm a Technics fan and my main recording decks are the RS-BX707, the RS-BX808 which share the same electronics (the 808 is the dual capstan version of the series) and for more demanding recordings, the RS-B965. All of them are modified but with the original permalloy head.

The question: for anyone who knows the decks, do you find them sufficient for quality recordings? I'm not asking for ZXL1000 performance neither I'm chasing this extra decibel. What I'm looking for is the clarity and musicality. Don't want to mess with Nakamichi. Considering the good Aiwas for alternative solution but they are quite expensive, these days. So, would the difference (if any) justify the expense to buy (and service) an Aiwa or any other premium recorder or I'm just ok with my Technics?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
My previous experience with the RS-M85 (2 heads) would suggest that B965 should hold its own with most anything that's not a Dragon or 1000. I'd have no qualms using it, especially if you can take advantage for the monitor head.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Most important thing is good set up mechanically and electronically. Also initial bias set for your desired tape.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I suggest Tandberg Tcd 320 . Only two heads , but it has a " close loop dual capstan " transport ,
so the sound is great . I like very much this unit .
Ciao
Marco

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
if you aren't chasing the extra decibel, permalloy heads are OK.

otherwise, sendust heads can usually push tapes a bit more (especially type4 which permalloy heads cannot push to their limits), but so many sendust heads sound like crap on playback and I would be careful about those.

then, amorphous heads can give you the best performance, with nice playback and the ability to push ANY tapes to their limit.

all that said, a thing which influences tbe actual performance regardless of the kind of heads, is how nicely they designed the REC EQ filters so that you don't risk, i.e., to underbias the tape to get the proper frequency response.

Makymak

Journeyman
Good evening, Vince! I'm looking for your response. You have a lot of experience with the 965. You also have a variety of decks, some of them being very good recorders. Are you happy with the recordings made with the 965 comparing the other decks?

We that have the 965 modified, know that is an excellent performer at playback, one of the best (if not the best!). But when it comes to recording, is it still a great performer? Unfortunately, I don't have any serious deck other than the Technics so I can't do any comparisons, myself.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Good evening, Vince! I'm looking for your response. You have a lot of experience with the 965. You also have a variety of decks, some of them being very good recorders. Are you happy with the recordings made with the 965 comparing the other decks?

We that have the 965 modified, know that is an excellent performer at playback, one of the best (if not the best!). But when it comes to recording, is it still a great performer? Unfortunately, I don't have any serious deck other than the Technics so I can't do any comparisons, myself.
Yes, the B965M isn't only a deck with a great playback sound but it's also a NICE recorder!
Of course, while staying within the level limits due to the permalloy, but the B965M pushes them just as much as possible.
Did you add the HX-Pro mod?
I've noticed it helps on normal bias tapes (ferrics and superferrics) which gain some better treble saturation limits... it's as easy as adding 2 resistors on the REC PCB (one of those 2 vertical PCBs)... easy job.
Must give you all the details.

The B965MF with Alps ferrite heads, btw, is even better on recording and it's a proper monster deck! Up there with the very best.

Anyways, there are a couple decks where I put some nice amorphous heads in place of their original ones (sendust heads on a Technics RS-M260 and permalloy "DX" heads on an AIWA AD-F880) and they indeed became some true monsters too... not a quick/easy job, though.
I am finishing optimizing the REC EQ filters on the AIWA just now.

Makymak

Journeyman
While I can modify easily a circuit when there are guidelines, I have very limited means to design a mod. So, I stay with the documented modifications. The only deck I would upgrade the heads would be the 965 to amorphous and that's because Matsushita has a version with such heads so there is description in the service manual.

I don't care for exploiting the full potentials of the type iv tapes. I'm ok with what dynamic range the 965 offers with the permalloy heads. And as Alex had said, these particular heads are of great quality and if I remember well, they can take a lot of juice out of the metal tapes. What I care is the musicality. The open air to the music. I want my deck to pass this "air" to the tape. So I take your word, as I take Bob's too, that the 965 is indeed a good recorder.

I have not made the HX pro mod. I don't (want to) have any access to TH (I had asked them to suspend my account, for personal reasons) so I have to search somewhere else for the mod instructions. Too pitty so much work from Alex is documented there and gone for good. Especially when it comes to Technics.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Double-edged sword.

Yes, you limit access of non-members but you also limit visibility on search engines.

Dude could ruin an ice cream cart in Arizona.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I have a Sony TC-K71 awaiting work, I haven't recorded with it yet but is seems like it would be competent. It will record on all 4 types of cassette. I think it has sendust heads though. My Nak BX-300 edges it out in playback performance.

Makymak

Journeyman
Nakamichi 1000 Tri Tracer?

As I said above, I don't want to mess with Nakamichi. Especially such an old deck. I would prefer to obtain a deck I can service myself and definitely I can't service a Nak. The only Nak I would consider to buy is a zx-7/zx-9 and this only for it's recording capabilities. But it's out of my budget.

Regarding budgets, have you noticed how much the RS-B965 are selling, these days? 700 - 800€? This is insane! Two years ago, I bought my second one just for 200€. What an investment, isn't it? (haha!!!)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Tascam 122 Mk. III is my weapon(s) of choice.

The 122 Mk. II is the "best" in that you can have three individual bias points for each tape type, whereas the Mk. III uses a single point and the other two reference that. But the interface and features of the Mk. III are nicer, and I predominantly use TDK SA tapes so that is my "main" bias point with D and MA referencing that. Plus, it's the newest (last) 3-head offering from Tascam, and they can be found is very nice mechanical condition for reasonable money. Earlier ones were made in Japan and the last ones in China, but other than slight (like paint shade used for the face plate) cosmetic differences, the circuit and mechanics are the same for both.

(and running +5 on a Mk. III will burn holes in tape as 0dB is 250nWb/M)

Last edited:

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Nakamichi 1000 Tri Tracer?

As I said above, I don't want to mess with Nakamichi. Especially such an old deck. I would prefer to obtain a deck I can service myself and definitely I can't service a Nak. The only Nak I would consider to buy is a zx-7/zx-9 and this only for it's recording capabilities. But it's out of my budget.

Regarding budgets, have you noticed how much the RS-B965 are selling, these days? 700 - 800€? This is insane! Two years ago, I bought my second one just for 200€. What an investment, isn't it? (haha!!!)
Cheaper alternative to the ZX-7/9 would be the 581, 581Z, 582 and 582Z, they have full rec calibration, same mechanism as the ZX-7 but without record head azimuth alignment.

Being a Sony guy I would suggest you the TC-K777 series, excellent performers but these are too expensive and hard to service.
The 90's ES series are very good too, the TCM200 mechanism are rather easy to work on, but some of these needs electronic modifications (ANT4066 and rec eq).