dbx Ultrx RD-C21 cassette deck

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
So, it's playing back slow, or stalling with C-120 tapes? Are you playing pre-recorded tapes?

Nando.
I used two factory recorded double length tapes Nando, Triumph - Stages which is the one it did not like and Journey - Captured Live which it played with no issues. I FF'ed the Triumph through a few cycles to get tension even to the deck's wants and it still dragged a bit

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Some of the pre-recorded tapes bind, no matter how much you try to loosen the tape pack. Once I have more time, I will record a mix tape for you, Ron.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
That's cool Nando!

Yeah, I was thinking of cracking it open and mount the tape in a Memorex UD-XLII shell. I still have a small handful of them (pre-recorded on) and some sealed ones, even a couple of the type S ones

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I'm sure those would be Maxell UD-XLII shells you are considering.

Nando.

essay

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I have seen a few in the past, nice looking decks, never owned one though

Last edited:

Plumpeken

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Right channel really weak

Ron: It's a 2-head cassette deck, and the comment about it being a Dragon-killer was made tongue-in-cheek by TH member, doity (Luke). Looking for specs on it, but all I have found are specs on the RDC61.

My February 1986 issue of Stereo Review lists 4 Ultrx models, but not the C-21. I'm sure it's an average deck as the TOTL Ultrx model is the RDR81.

Nando.
Hello, I also have an Ultra RD C21. It has been working great for many years, although recently the right channel seemed to completely die. Along further inspection I found that the channel does still work. I have to turn my right channel to the max, and even then I can barely hear it. Is there anything I can do? I would love to keep this thing working properly.
Also I realize this topic is dead, and has been for a few years. But worth a shot.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Open it and see if it's a bit dusty in there. Use some canned air and blow it out, especially the record/play switch (probably a mechanical arm from the controls to the switch)...you push the switch in and out and blow air (or electronics cleaner) in the switch (but not at the same time).

Repeat if needed. If that doesn't seem to work the level switch or another button may be a problem. You can spray other things, make sure that the spray is safe for plastics and the DECK IS UNPLUGGED!!!

To get to the other controls you may need to take the face apart so keep track of what you are doing so you can putm it back together okay.

Plumpeken

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Open it and see if it's a bit dusty in there. Use some canned air and blow it out, especially the record/play switch (probably a mechanical arm from the controls to the switch)...you push the switch in and out and blow air (or electronics cleaner) in the switch (but not at the same time).

Repeat if needed. If that doesn't seem to work the level switch or another button may be a problem. You can spray other things, make sure that the spray is safe for plastics and the DECK IS UNPLUGGED!!!

To get to the other controls you may need to take the face apart so keep track of what you are doing so you can putm it back together okay.
Okay, I will try that within the next few days, thanks.

Plumpeken

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---

I took it apart is sprayed it with compressed air. It wasn't really dusty at all but after thoroughly blasting it with air it seems to be working perfectly again. Although who knows how long this will last. Hopefully for a long time.
Thanks for your help :)

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
You're quite welcome! Getting a cassette deck working again is a great feeling, especially when it's not really involved, like belts or bad parts! Sanyos are really nice working, my first deck was a 1980/81 model. It was a great value with AMSS, metal tape and Dolby B with big analog meters and separate recording level knobs and also solenoid button transport controls. I can't remember the exact price but it was well below $140 and although it lacked Dolby C it was far simpler than the Pioneers that year and everything was contained on ONE BOARD vs. maybe FOUR for CT-7R (two daughterboards attached vertically and an impossibly stupid control board on the cassette drive itself and a tendency to go in rewind regardless of which button you pushed.