dbx Ultrx RD-C21 cassette deck

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
A guy was giving this away for free and since I do not have a good playback deck (I have a couple with minor issues or need a cleaning) so I bit. Supposedly made by Sanyo Japan for dbx. He mentioned a reference as it being a Dragon killer on another forum (Tapeheads???) in playback mode but I hold no illusions on that count. So, they seem to be pretty uncommon, has any one here had experience with one? Should be here this week sometime and I only plan to use it for playback anyway. I am assuming this would have fit in the Sanyo Plus line pretty well. I see references as to this deck being Sanyo's introduction into higher end cassette decks

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Ultrx was a short-lived Sanyo line, much like Centrex/Pioneer. They had a dual cassette deck and I think a casseiver as well.

It wasn't HarvestmanMan, was it?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Ron: It's a 2-head cassette deck, and the comment about it being a Dragon-killer was made tongue-in-cheek by TH member, doity (Luke). Looking for specs on it, but all I have found are specs on the RDC61.

My February 1986 issue of Stereo Review lists 4 Ultrx models, but not the C-21. I'm sure it's an average deck as the TOTL Ultrx model is the RDR81.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Thanks for the info Nando, I will post my thoughts on it's playback once it gets here and I try it. Free is good regardless

orange

Tagline
If Doity sold it to you, it won't be junk. And it's a Sanyo. My friend Cory brought me an MR-939 small reel to reel deck to check out once, it was pretty nice given it's age and I hated to have to return it to him.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I'll take an average deck that works well over a higher end model that spits and coughs. I'm sure it will be more than fine for what you intend to use it for. Bring out all your pre-recorded 80's cassettes, Ron.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Well put Nando. My KX-800u seems to be more fussy as it ages, where as the Sony deck I picked up from John a couple years back is a tank. I use it more than the Yamaha anymore. As fancy as it is, it only seems to like tapes, it records. That Keith Richards tape you sent sounded damn fine in the Sony.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben, Ron: As much as I like to consider specs to get a handle on what to expect from a cassette deck's performance, there's more to it than simply the numbers. I have a number of decks that don't have exceptional specs, but I've created plenty of mix tapes on them that would have you believe they were recorded on something much better.

That Keith Richards tape gets lots of play at home and in the car. Glad you like it, Ben.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
I have an innocent looking Akai HX-2 that doesn't scream beauty but it makes wonderful recordings consistently, and no, there is no HX in it. It's just fun to use it.

Northwinds

Tagline
It came yesterday, looks ok but has no weight to it at all. Came in a huge 2ft x 2ft x 1ft box and it felt like there was only a record or two inside. Will try to hook it up today but this looks like SPC

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I saw a cassette deck at Stephens yesterday that I had never heard of, an. ONKYO TA-2080. He had them from his stereo store days and they were used to make demo tapes for the stores, he said they were the best recording cassette decks there was.

Northwinds

Tagline
I saw a cassette deck at Stephens yesterday that I had never heard of, an. ONKYO TA-2080. He had them from his stereo store days and they were used to make demo tapes for the stores, he said they were the best recording cassette decks there was.
I have seen a few in the past, nice looking decks, never owned one though

orange

Tagline
He's never heard one of these:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Did you get a chance to try this deck out, Ron?

Just found another deck at the thrift store for $21.40. It's a Yamaha KX-380. It looked to be in good condition and I tried it out at the store before taking it home. Playing an old mix tape of Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.

I will get it cleaned up and post a few pictures of it. This is the first deck that I've owned that has the Play Trim feature.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---

Just found another deck at the thrift store for $21.40. It's a Yamaha KX-380. It looked to be in good condition and I tried it out at the store before taking it home. Playing an old mix tape of Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.

I will get it cleaned up and post a few pictures of it. This is the first deck that I've owned that has the Play Trim feature.

Nando.
If it's fairly near spec and functioning normally, you'll like that one my Elite-ist friend.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I just popped the bonnet on it and it's clean as can be. Belts look to be in great condition and it has a simple modular layout. It looks very easy to service. I demagnetized the heads and cleaned the tape path. Judging by the look of the heads, pinch roller, and capstan, it doesn't seem to have many hours on it.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline

Nando.
I did Nando, sorry for the late reply. It sounded good but did not like some double length tapes so I imagine a belt is starting to get weak, Single play was fine. No frills, nice display but cheaply built. An adequate casual listener

Elite-ist

Staff member
So, it's playing back slow, or stalling with C-120 tapes? Are you playing pre-recorded tapes?

Nando.