DBT not dimming

Chafoweeth

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I am installing a new control board into my PL400. I misinterpreted the wiring diagram on the 1st run and my DBT light dimmed a little after the caps charged, but stayed bright. I *think* my miswiring was pretty benign; there certainly was no smoke, but the unfused b+ and the ground were hooked up to terminal points with no connections on the circuit board.

I am confident that I have things hooked up correctly now, but I am still getting the light to dim only a bit, and the front lights do not turn on. However, if I remove the fuse from either channel, things seem to settle into what I would expect. That is, the light dims appropriately, and the face-plate lights up.

I have already installed new filter capacitors, the new light board, and the protection circuit.

Any ideas what I might have nuked, and/or where I should look for errors?
Thanks!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
With the bias set at minimum, what bias voltage are you reading? Have you measured the output offset and is it within a millivolt of zero?

Can you post some pictures for the experts on this forum to see?

Chafoweeth

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
The DBT is 100W
The bias voltage and the DC offset for the channels are about the same.

The bias was measured between the bias test point and the ground test point. The DC offset was measured across the terminals of the protection board before the relay.

For the Left it is ~1.8V
For the Right it is ~.7V

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Eric
Are those voltages your output offset readings? Are those milliVolts? Your post says volts. What is your B+ and B- measuring?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Eric
What jumps out at me is that the right channel appears to have the MJE15034 and MJE15035 in the wrong positions, swapped. The left channel appears correct. This will cause the problem you are observing.

Chafoweeth

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
That must have been all there was. Everything is looking great now.

.1 mV DC offset on both channels and the un-adjusted bias is ~ .193V for the left and ~ .183 V for the right.

Thanks again for your help and patience!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Just a note for future reference:
If any of your output transistors are fused, the DBT won't dim.
I had a severe failure of some transistors in my left channel and turned the switch on my DBT to "normal" instead of "test" by accident, burned a number of things on my control circuit and some emitter resistors.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I found a new use for my transistors out of the amps I strip..... I hide behind the truck and throw them at the illegals coming north... Si......