DAC Hunting

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Just found my DAC caller. A bunch flew by. Really what I want is a good base to build on. That way it may take me a year to build buying parts but it will be nice when I'm done. I hope. LOL

speakerman1

Tagline
I found this one. If anyone wants a killer DAC here is one. I don't think you could beat the price with a spoon. I have researched all the components. For the price I can't build one using the same parts. Depending on which opamp it comes with. One is better than the other. This is a non-upsampling DAC. I have read reviews and not a bad one to be seen. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300655040106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

speakerman1

Tagline
I found this one. If anyone wants a killer DAC here is one. I don't think you could beat the price with a spoon. I have researched all the components. For the price I can't build one using the same parts. Depending on which opamp it comes with. One is better than the other. This is a non-upsampling DAC. I have read reviews and not a bad one to be seen. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300655040106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
No opamps involved. I showed this to John and in his own words. WOW

speakerman1

Tagline
We are going to try to bypass the built in opamp and go for a tube output. It is all first rate stuff no question. I emailed the guy. He told me it is one of his favorites. That is how I think you design something. You make it like it is for you. LOL

gamve

Journeyman

That ain't no killer DAC. There is only one Go Here http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0
And here for some thoughts (mine) on my Killer Dac http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?topic=422.0

Last edited:

speakerman1

Tagline
I don't speak Aussie. LOL What is the difference between a TDA1541A and a TDA1543? What all is in your Killer DAC compared to the nonlethal DAC I am talking about?LOL

gamve

Journeyman
I don't speak Aussie. LOL What is the difference between a TDA1541A and a TDA1543? What all is in your Killer DAC compared to the nonlethal DAC I am talking about?LOL

What is the difference between a TDA1541A and a TDA1543?
This is like asking what is the difference between VW Beetle and a Porsche. The TDA1541 chip variants were and still are some of the best sounding and musical dac chips ever made.
If you want to know what makes up a killer dac you need to do some reading on the site I gave links for.

What all is in your Killer DAC compared to the nonlethal DAC I am talking about?LOL
It depends where you are at with this hobby. You can fcuk about with $300 components for ever and a day and who knows you may improve your sound marginally. You can also get serious but for example $150 will only get you a pair of
RCA sockets or half of one output capacitors for a Killer Dac. These things are not cheap but I have not heard better digital anywhere.
Cheers
G

speakerman1

Tagline
John and I will be designing on the tube output. Which I think may shape the sound a great deal. Have you read the SP 12 thread? It has some pretty nice things. If money was no object for 10,000.00 I could have even the DAC and all the other chips custom designed. I don't have 10,000.00. Do they sell a kit or anything or is it the whole thing. I'll try anything once and some things more than once. LOL Well on the VW - Porsche thing. On some of them it was just a body. LOL did read further. What clock are they using?

speakerman1

Tagline
Yes money does have something to do with it. How would you have known that if you hadn't walked up the steps to get where you are. How would you have known what to make a killer DAC? To me this DAC will tell me things as we build it. You learn on cheap then you go for it. The sum of all parts equal the whole. In my tubes I like the sound of silver wire. The tubes cut down on the brightness. The silver wire raises the tweeter and mid to a higher level. How would I know that if I hadn't tried other things in my. It is just like music. Do you like an artist that has put out a bad record? I try all kinds of music. So I try all kinds of parts to get to the whole.