D-500

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I cant say I`ve ever heard of one but after seeing this ad, it seems like it`s the holy grail of amplifiers! Are these amps that sought after?
Asking price of $4300, $2000 spent in parts alone, I think not. What parts could possibly cost that much?

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649676144-phase-linear-d-500/

MAYBE, $2000 Canadian but there isn't $2000 in parts, in one. Unless he had to buy a transformer from somebody, or got screwed badly with marked up prices, he's full of shit.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
About all he did was upgrade the power caps. Stock everything else. It does take more material than a 700 to upgrade a d-500 so budget about $1000 in materials to do a full comp with new control board. Then a bunch of hours labour

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
And hopefully with lots of posts after his unpaid sabbatical.
Hi all
I have retired and I am busy putting my fabrication shop together at home so I can build things again. Is getting to cold so time to head back to the Phase linear projects. I will be building a d500 that can drive those low 2 or less ohm Kappa’s some here own. It’s going to have 40 output drivers. Three cooling fans on the back and a dual mono WO board. I have no need for one but I can so I will build it.