Crown Straight Line One, any good ?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Should be a nice preamp. I have one but use it only to power some phono amps from Crown.

It is not loved like the SL-2, the 1 rack unit fully loaded preamp but the SL-1 should be great without the tone controls and other things the SL-2 offers. A minimalist approach.

Mine was cheap and ugly, missing letters on the faceplate. I might get the faceplate engraved one of these years.

What is yours doing/not doing? Check the power supply, reseat the chips...who knows maybe it will work.

SirPaulGerman

New Around These Parts
I am not going to touched, my tech is going to do it

according to the manual it has 10 .1MF 200V Filmatic, cant find any wima parts for those film caps, any other film capacitors to use ?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Yes, those 10 filmatic caps. They are just fine. They are not electrolytic that grow old and don’t work right.

but if you must, any very good film cap should be fine. Lots of brands out there.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
The date codes on the electrolytics are late 70's. The chips appear to be early 80's. Sounds about right as the PCB is single sided without plated holes. Most everybody went to double sided boards by early 80's. Plated holes reduces cracked solder joints.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
The date codes on the electrolytics are late 70's. The chips appear to be early 80's. Sounds about right as the PCB is single sided without plated holes. Most everybody went to double sided boards by early 80's. Plated holes reduces cracked solder joints.
Aragon was still using shitty boards well into the 80’s.