Connecting 2 400's to single preamp

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
To connect 2 400's to a single preamp would I use an RCA Y adapter to plug into left and right inputs then a mono rca cable to the preamp for each side? Then then say the right preamp output to the right amp would use the right speaker terminals and visa versa for the left? This would be like 400 watts per channel right?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I want to connect 2 PL400 series 1 to a single preamp so one amp drives right channel and the other drives left channel.. sorry did not realize this was complicated

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You can not hook the right and left channels together. You would have to bridge the amp at the input, and that's not a good thing to do, although it can be done, the lifespan is debatable.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You can not hook the right and left channels together. You would have to bridge the amp at the input, and that's not a good thing to do, although it can be done, the lifespan is debatable.
thats the word I was looking for "bridge" wouldn't one of these bridge it??

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-S..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=JQ013PQQJXDF1A056EBG

with one of these to the preamp?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J1LD4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There would be one for each channel left and right... what is the harm this causes??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Bridging doesn't work like that. You have to invert the signal on one channnel and regular input on the other channel. Then both channels of the amp are combined at the out put to QUADRUPLE the output. And you would be limited to an 8 ohm load......

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Bridging doesn't work like that. You have to invert the signal on one channnel and regular input on the other channel. Then both channels of the amp are combined at the out put to QUADRUPLE the output. And you would be limited to an 8 ohm load......
So this has never been done with these??? hmm back to the drawing board looks like I need some more electronics educating....

OK I see it.....
http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Damn that Bob C why didn't he build them to do this???

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Check a website called westhost.com. An Australian that explains things very well. He has a paper published that covers bridging to a T.....

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You CAN bridge a PL amp, but the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages.
Well I was thinking that advantage with a 400 would be 400 watts per channel vs 200 watts per channel but I'm not going to sit here and start frying amps to do it

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It doubles the distortion, doubles the noise, your impedence limited to 8 ohms, ......there's a better way to get 400 watts per channel........a 700 will do 775 per channel into 4 ohms.......that's at clipping.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
To run 2 amps with one preamp with only one output, use a Y adapter in each input. No bridging involved, just even preamp power to both amps, each driving it's own set of speakers

Bridging PL's is not a good thing

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
To run 2 amps with one preamp with only one output, use a Y adapter in each input. No bridging involved, just even preamp power to both amps, each driving it's own set of speakers

Bridging PL's is not a good thing
Right but I think then you would need to run it as a bi amp set up... I was thinking of this and is why I had asked about active cross overs a bit back

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Dear Roccus ,
before asking for amp / preamp connections ,
I suggest you to choose or make the speakers .
For instance I have 3 cases in my systems :
-Allison One powered by a PL 700 ( very hungry of power and 8 Ohm nominal impedance )
-Infinity rs III powered by a PL 400 ( 4 Ohm )
-AR 9 passive bi amped by 2 Carver M400a. ( AR 9 are disegned for bi amp )
No problem at all and great sound .
Ciao
Marco