Computer help!!! Plz!!!

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
For some reason my USB ports stopped working. It won't regonize my dac. My external it try's but nvr fully loads it. I'm lost. Tried a restore back a couple weeks but still no go. And it won't find drivers for anything . It keeps saying get ahold of manufacture . And that's dac and external hd!!! Any thought???

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I assume you have tried unplugging the usb cables and then plugging them back in? Try unplugging and then plugging the devices in again. If that doesn't work then try a different usb port. If these remedies dont work then we will try removing your usb ports and letting you computer find them again.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I assume you have tried unplugging the usb cables and then plugging them back in? Try unplugging and then plugging the devices in again. If that doesn't work then try a different usb port. If these remedies dont work then we will try removing your usb ports and letting you computer find them again.
Ive tried every port on my puter. And it either will say don't recognize. Or it will search for driver and fail. Or it just won't do anything at times. It's weird. I tried a system restore to no avail. Even my external hd. It picks it up but it takes forever to show it on the Computer part. Then if ya try to open it it says it can't read it and needs to reformat it. Up till this point all I've ever had to do is plug the shit in. Now it's like WTF is going on!!!!

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Can you try both devices on another computer. Trying to determine if the devices still work or if it is your computer? Yeah I know why would two dvices fail at the same time, but I want to make sure the devices are working.

The other things to try is do you have a usb printer or usb thumb drive? Do any usb devices work on your computer?

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
Can you try both devices on another computer. Trying to determine if the devices still work or if it is your computer? Yeah I know why would two dvices fail at the same time, but I want to make sure the devices are working.

The other things to try is do you have a usb printer or usb thumb drive? Do any usb devices work on your computer?
Sry ran to town and got gas for generator. But yes I have tried on wife's computer and it all boots up just fine. Haven't tried printer ill do that now.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
You might want to do a full delete of your cookies and temp files also Jason. If you don't do it regularly, it will slow your computer down. You may also be experiencing a form of Windows "rot". We have two new computers now (both Windows 8) but I remember having to F disc the drive and reloading Windows XP to get everything working again right

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Sounds like the contactor to me. :rabbit: Just kidding.

Go into your control panel and then to the device manager and find your usb roots/hubs and or usb devices. If you right click on any one of them and select delete or remove device. do this for all of them. Then reboot you computer plug in the devices and your computer should recognize the devices. There is a power management setting for each usb port and they go to sleep if not active, the problem with that is they don't like to wake up.

If this doesn't work then you may have corrupt device drivers for these devices .

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Could also be some form of malware being a pest. Windows Rot is possible. But I'd say you're on the money there web. Complete shutdown would help too, unplug laptop/take battery out for 5-10 minutes then put it back in and power up with power adaptor. One of the best cleaners out there for malware and such is ADWCleaner. I use that combined with JRT (Junkware removal tool - an automated command line utility) Malwarebytes/Spybot search and destroy (old version 1.6)/and my Usual Avira Pro Internet/Antivirus.

Yes definately turn the damn USB Power saving/sleep off, nothing but trouble that thing. You would also be aware that USB is still pretty much the old school com/serial ports on steroids? haha.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
Well I got pissed and walked away last night and it did a windows update overnight. When I started it up earlier it connected just fine. So we will see if this happenens again. I use spybot. Is that enough? Honestly all I use it for is spotify..

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Well I got pissed and walked away last night and it did a windows update overnight. When I started it up earlier it connected just fine. So we will see if this happenens again. I use spybot. Is that enough? Honestly all I use it for is spotify..
Malwarebytes would be useful as well for more protection. When you install it, dont enable the 'free' trial of malwarebytes pro or it will hassle you for money after a certain amount of time. Here is a 'safe' link to download it from (bleeping computer):

Click on: "Download now from @ bleeping computer" - blue button slightly to the right.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Also use adwcleaner, do a scan and then click on clean after its done, you will have to reboot after this.

Click on: "Download now from @ bleeping computer" - blue button slightly to the right.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Those two will help get any hidden nasties removed that are generally hidden.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Glad it is working again if it is a lappy then for sure the power managment shuts down the usb ports to conserve beer err ahh batter power. If it does it again on battery power then plug it in to the charger and see if that helps. Microsoft is big on shutting things down an hibernating systems but they have issues resuming things or waking up. That is why I use mostly desktops and disable all power conservation settings and shut off hybernation completely.

I use spybot, Malware bytes, Advanced system care the free and paid versions, Ccleaner, and occasionally system ninja.