Complete Parts list for phase 400 WOPL

DB1980

New Around These Parts
hey all,
I was given a Pl 400 and Pl 4000. the preamp works fine, the 400 was missing the large power supply caps and no fuses. I haven't tried to plug it in cause of the obvious missing components. I'd like to get this thing going. I figured I'd get new boards for it and the new power supply caps. I know how to solder (copper Plumbing) but I've never done electronics, so I think the completed boards is the way to go. I need a complete parts list for everything to rebuild if at all possible. The meters look really good and no scratches or anything on the front face, seems like a good candidate for rebuild. Thanks

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome to Phoenix. Glad we got your juices running to take on a PL 400 project! Big if on your project is if you have the right test and diagnostic equipment to make sure all is right. You may be able to solder but that doesn't ensure you won't be going up in smoke without the proper equipment. If you decide to go ahead with your project there are plenty of guru's here that will help you through it.

Thought I was going to do the same thing when I joined....after a year decided it was way beyond my skills and sent it to Lee for a WOPLing...

DB1980

New Around These Parts
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. Exactly my worry about soldering and all that with the components and what not. If its OK to talk about prices and all that , what was the cost to you of having it done ? Really, that would best suit me lol.

DB1980

New Around These Parts
Or let me ask this what is both these pieces worth in their current condition?. I may just sell or trade these for something else.

DB1980

New Around These Parts
OK , so looking at the WO Estore. I know I need the capacitor kit, do I also need the back plane kit, the control board kit, and the dual mono kit?. I'm just gonna go with the fully assembled versions of these. I don't know what all ill need.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. Exactly my worry about soldering and all that with the components and what not. If its OK to talk about prices and all that , what was the cost to you of having it done ? Really, that would best suit me lol.
I'm sure someone will chime in soon and ask for a PM to communicate off thread. Not sure where you're from but there are guys working on WOPL's across the country....pretty sure if you're nice (offer pie) someone will take you on.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
mmmmmmmm PIE????

Reach out to Joe (Owner of White Oak) Goes by Gepetto

He'll hook you up with whatever you need and won't sell you anything you don't. Kinda tricky building a WopL. Good Luck and welcome aboard

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Or let me ask this what is both these pieces worth in their current condition?. I may just sell or trade these for something else.

Look at like items on ebay, or do a search on HiFishark and that will give you an idea as to worth

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Welcome to Phoenix.
B-17's ROCK!

My worthless advice; No need to make a quick decision. There's a lot to consider & the answers are all here.
I'm like Fishoz. I've been building kits since the sixties. I bought all of the parts for a 700b WOPL build.
After two years of 'almost ready to start' I took a good look at the work these pro's here can do & I sent mine off to WOPL sniffer & I'm glad I did. Now I'm rocking the casbah instead of looking at a pile - O- parts.
The 700's are favorites here. But A WOPL 400 is a fine piece of gear to have. IF you can live with what? 2 - 3 hundred watts per channel.
I think you'd better plan on $800.00 or so to DIY? Maybe less, but it will be up there.
food for thought. If that does not scare you off............. Get ready for an adventure!

DB1980

New Around These Parts
yes after looking at the store it comes to about 700 ish for what I think I'd need. I'm in western Washington state , if anyone is close that would great I'm more than willing to hand this off to someone that is well versed on these. When I received this Amp the power caps were gone and someone had just bolted everything up to the copper bar, which is bad I'm assuming lol. So did it fry all kinds of stuff doing that?, or would it be worth the gamble to buy the new cap set and bolt em up and see what happens?.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
700 ish, don't forget the DCP. Thats another 100 bones. I usually put in new switches, and pots, RCA's, speaker jacks etc...... It can get up there quick.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Just for another reference...my LLWOPL 400 rested out at over 250wpc...check out what a comparable new amp runs. I can’t touch anything that compares for less than $2500 at local brick and mortars.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
With a WOPL project, you can do one piece at a time like Johnny Cash.
Welcome to the forum, DB. Brad's suggestion above is a good one there. Grab em a piece at a time and when you have everything ready, go for it if you feel you're up to the task.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Mark, the 700B's used a cam operated switch (which I rebuild using a honeywell 16amp switch), and also they used the half-moon (which I have NOS), and the Series II used the push button TV3 (SDU3P switches which are expensive but available). The TV5 switch can also be used but you have to drill a hole in the mounting bracket on the amp to mount the switch. I have done many and it is pretty quick. By adding the power wire to utilize both sets of terminals and adding a big fat cap across them with the power wire, you will double what the original had. That 2" SWITCH WILL NOT FIT.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alps-SDU3P...329093?hash=item4204ada005:g:1hwAAOSw-vlVhMgi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ALPS-Jap...820111&hash=item2629bf419a:g:qUwAAOSwlnFdqI15