Columbia House

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Columbia House is set to return as a vinyl service.

More here at Ultimate Classic Rock.

Should be interesting to see the offers/pricing when they do come back around.

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I live in the hometown of Columbia House, Terre Haute, news to me but then again somebody bought them they could locate anywhere. Sony has the old Columbia House plant and makes CD's DVD's Bluray and PS games here.

Always wondered what happened to the old vinyl presses.....?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
One would have to think they have them tucked away in a warehouse somewhere. Otherwise a new startup of a bankrupted company would be extremely costly.

Not to mention all the articles going around about lack of pressing equipment, and the search for stored equipment simply to keep up with demand.

Unless of course they no longer plan to press vinyl themselves.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I was once enrolled a record club program. I think it was Columbia House. I have to say I have lots of good albums I may not have bought off the shelf because of that.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Shit, when we were kids, we had several accounts. It would be cool if it was the original 12 records for a penny!

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Record Club of America

Back in 1973 was probably my favorite..... "Record Club of America". I bought 25 records for $25 plus $10 shipping. All of which I still own. "With no obligation to buy anything ever". Needless to say, Record Club of America didn't last longer after that.

https://books.google.com/books?id=a...q="Record Club of America" 25 records&f=false

"Record Club of America was based in York, Pa., and operated from the late '60s to mid '70s. It was basically a discount mail-order record retailer -- it wasn't affiliated with any label, but offered everything that was in the (late, lamented) Schwann Record Catalog. If you "joined," you got circulars in the mail every few weeks, but there were no monthly selections or cards to send back."

"The "Manufactured by Record Club of America" apparently is what led to their downfall. After achieving a certain amount of success, the company started cutting deals with the big labels to buy these custom pressings so they could get better wholesale prices. The "Manufactured by ..." indicated that the records weren't returnable to the record label, which lowered the label's cost (in those days, regular pressings were 100% returnable if they didn't sell -- big cost to the label). They'd also forgo the shrink wrap and maybe use cheaper vinyl to shave the cost some more. But, if the records didn't sell, Record Club of America was stuck with them."

Ed