cleaning silver face gear

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Doug, I'll get Jani to post on this tonight. Her's always turn out good. And she doesn't seem to hurt them..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Nice!!. Couldn't get to it last night Doeg. I'll tie her to the computer chair tonight...hmmm......might be a wee bit after that till she can post....

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have had nice results with Weiman Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish on a microfiber cloth. That's after an initial clean with AC Delco Glass Cleaner which has no ammonia, doesn't streak, and is foamy.

But, I think Jani does a multi-step process which has saved many a faceplate. It's almost standard procedure when Lee has finished a member's project.

Nando.

frhodes

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Phase Linear recommended ammonia for their faceplates. I always use Windex (original with ammonia). Does an excellent job
including smoke. (I have never seen it harm lettering on anything I've cleaned)

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi,

I tried some WD40 on the latest tape deck to find it's way home and it worked great! Never use the stuff on an mechanical linkage but as a surface cleaner it worked well. It also works well if you need to machine or drill aluminum.

Robert

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Hi,

I tried some WD40 on the latest tape deck to find it's way home and it worked great! Never use the stuff on an mechanical linkage but as a surface cleaner it worked well. It also works well if you need to machine or drill aluminum.

Robert
I've seen WD40 used commercially on Stainless Steel. In a hi-rise it was being used to clean the elevator doors and casings prior to people moving in. It attracts dirt and dust, so I agree, never use it on anything you want to remain moveable. I use it on rusty bolts.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
WD-40 also makes drilling 1/8 inch thick copper a breeze also. A lot less hangups and smoother breakthrough.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I once had a silver anodized faceplate with permanent marker on it. Nothing was working, so I tried DMSO - zip! Just don't let it get on your skin, as it absorbs through the skin and carries anything dissolved in it along for the ride.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Dimethylsulfoxide, yes. Oh, and don't use it around your dog or cat - makes them blind. It's OK for people and horses, just be wary of what is in solution or on your skin. The blindness thing seems to be species-specific. I've used DMSO for soft tissue injury, and my eyes are fine.

Last edited: