Cleaning record just befor playing

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
I have just recently had my turntable repaired and began playing records again for the first time in more than ten years. I'm wondering what some of you guys are doing to clean the record on the turntable before playing. I used to have this real nice anti-static brush branded Staticmaster that did a great job but i dont know if they are avail.

CASSETTE DECK

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Path under Coastlands overbridge
I'm wondering what some of you guys are doing to clean the record on the turntable before playing.
The method I prefer to use to clean vinyl records is on the turntable with a wet record cloth, wet with clean water and a drop of detergent. Rinse off excess dust and dirt, then wipe record while it is turning, before lowering the tone arm. Play the record while it is still wet. Wet the record again while playing, if required.
The stylus deep cleans the wet record groove.
I have had great results using this easy method on some very dirty, dusty records.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
There should be a number of responses by members for your question, Ric, as many of us like to play vinyl. I batch up my own cleaning solution of 99% isopropyl alcohol, distilled water, and Dawn liquid dish soap in these proportions: 20% ipa, 80% distilled water, 10 drops of dish soap. I use a one litre/quart spray bottle and spray directly onto my lint-free cleaning cloth. Then I rub in circular motions from the centre of the record towards the outside or lead-in edge. I place the record onto the record inner sleeve allowing to dry then do the other side of the record. I repeat this at least twice for each record. I use my anti-static brush while playing the record on the turntable platter with the tone arm in its rest, brushing from the centre of the LP angling outwards to the lead-in groove.

Some use the Spin Clean machine or even record cleaning machines with vacuums.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
And for cleaning the stylus, I prefer to dip the cartridge gently onto a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to pick up any grime.

Nando.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
For hand washing Nando's formula is spot on. I used a small AT felt brush to wash with and rinsed with distilled water. Dry with micro fiber cloth and let dry thoroughly. Finally purchased a Spin Clean system and am very happy with it. I usually batch clean 15-20 albums at a time, still hand wash if I just need to wash a single album. Spin Clean does a great job without breaking the bank.

Mr Clean magic eraser for at least a weekly stylus clean - can't beat it.

I do not recommend spinning a wet record. Can't give technical reasons but don't see how running an expensive stylus through moisture will do it any good in the long run.

I use a Thunderon record brush for anti static before playing. Have had great success with it. Purchased at Sleeve City - check out the video there.

Last edited:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
I use D-5 Sylus Cleaner.It is more expensive than AudioTechnica orLast But it does a great job. I get it from the Bluez Bros.They are a disributor of Instaclean which I use regularly to clean Tape Heads And rubber Rollers and capstans.I also use the VPI Record Cleaning Machine with fluid that I make myself. It is effective, the vacuum gets out any dirt that is in the grooves.

Last edited:

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
I am still a fan of the Spin Clean Record cleaner for dirty lp's, otherwise a good brushing with the carbon fiber to dust them off, I also use the brush on the stylus as well as an after market brush on the tt itself.

fairchildnewer2.JPG spinclean.jpg

Jim

Nick Danger

The method I prefer to use to clean vinyl records is on the turntable with a wet record cloth, wet with clean water and a drop of detergent. Rinse off excess dust and dirt, then wipe record while it is turning, before lowering the tone arm. Play the record while it is still wet. Wet the record again while playing, if required.
The stylus deep cleans the wet record groove.
I have had great results using this easy method on some very dirty, dusty records.
Ric, IMO this is not the way to clean/ play records. Google search will give you ideas as to why you shouldn't do this.

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Over the years, I have been very happy with my Audio-Cleanica (or however the name is spelled). It's a Japanese version of the Watt's Dust Bug, and you can see how much dirt it has pulled off the LP when it's done it's thing.

Nick Danger

Over the years, I have been very happy with my Audio-Cleanica (or however the name is spelled). It's a Japanese version of the Watt's Dust Bug, and you can see how much dirt it has pulled off the LP when it's done it's thing.
I use somethin' similar, Laz: Rek-O- Kut Dust Bug

Really does pick up quite a bit of dust and hair that accumulates on the LP after pre- play brushing. I have found, through trial and error, that a microfiber towel misted with distilled water and a touch of 99% isopropyl dusts acts as an anti- stat better for me than anything to date. I live in a dry climate and this has been working like a champ! This and the dust bug have been couple of cheap, easy ways to keep my vinyl sounding good to my ears.

Last edited:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I also use Spin-Clean. After researching it for months, I settled on the Spin-Clean and its' cleaner. I think it does a fantastic job. I use Discwasher as my record cleaner just before playing. I've used one for decades and think it is the shizzle. I do not use the D-5 cleaner now that I have a Spin-Clean...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
And then there's this guy...

He's from (GASP!) Baltimore, too...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wmh7Ziyo7i4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I remember trying some glass cleaner on a record way, way back in the olden days that had gotten something or the other spilled all over it. It certainly made the record look clean and shiny, but my needle started picking up gunk left behind almost immediately and I had to clean off all the residue before it would play right. And this was back in my teenage years when keeping records particularly clean wasn't anything I much cared about and the residue left behind was so bad that I was afraid I had ruined my record. On the positive side, some alcohol cleaned it all right off and it didn't do any permanent damage, still have the record to this day and it plays great. But, the glass cleaner was definitely not a good way to go from my one time experience with it.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Just in case no one noticed, that Rain-X in the vid is strictly window cleaner; not the formulation with the Rain-X water repellant mixed in.

Any type of surfactant applied to the grooves would mix with the groove debris and if not properly removed, could pay havoc with a good stylus.
Maybe the Windex/Rain-X quick clean is a first a good step on really grodie LP's, in preparation for a true SpinClean deep-clean ...

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Just in case no one noticed, that Rain-X in the vid is strictly window cleaner; not the formulation with the Rain-X water repellant mixed in.
I've used this on my windshield. Couldn't wait for it to wear off - it leaves a film also. Threw it away.

Lastplace

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
He's from (GASP!) Baltimore, too...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wmh7Ziyo7i4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Why would you clean a David Soul record? Save time and toss it in the trash.

I spin clean my used records and use a carbon fiber brush before playing.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I use isopropyl alcohol mixed with water then follow through rinsing with clear water. You can use Windex also but it has to be very diluted and you still need to do a clear water rinse