cheap over priced speakers customized and moded are monsters now

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
for a long time I wanted to build my own speakers either for scratch or starting with acembled cabinets well I was gifted these
straight of the white van clame to use goldwood drivers and way inflated power handling this is the starting point through out all drivers and grills get rid of plastic corners no xover in there from the factory hardly any dampining meterial port is most likely too big but can not change that been working on these since last may and by this may they will be 99% done

Last edited:

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
it was very hard to find a 3x7 horn that used a real driver and not a piezo so I chose these 150 peak watt 93db 6.3 ohms it was equaly as hard to 5 mid range because I did not want to change the box so sealed back was need and there are very little offering out there and I ended up going with these claims 200 watts max 8 ohms 92db I was looking for some thing that could hit the mid 30s in these boxes went with these put in series on the coils to get around 8 ohms these are very inefishent mid 85db

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
xover is los get cut at 625 mids get cut a 5000 claims to be able to handle 2500 watts mids and highs also get reseting breakers

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
going to get rid of the ugly carpet and put this on one day also have plans to upgrade the terminals

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
the heathkit aa 1640 could not run these it kept eating fuse after a few on of cycles or playing bass heavy metearial for half an hour the kenwood km991 ran them better but it was being brought to its knees by the power demand my wopl 400 lana (next of kin) runs them perfectly and they sound way better then they did on the other 2 amps I also ran them on my friend hh scott 385r and they were better then the heathkit and about the same as the kenwood

closing thoughts they turned out better then I thought tey would and sound better then I thought they would

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The carpet is the best part, unless you want bronco vinyl. Now you need casters to roll it from gig to gig.

I've got my own pair of DIY cabinets I got cheap that once had Electrovoice Wolverines I am told but they were empty when I got them and I have Magnavox horns and 200 watt Pioneer 12" in there at the moment. Still unfinished in the shed.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
The carpet is the best part, unless you want bronco vinyl. Now you need casters to roll it from gig to gig.

I've got my own pair of DIY cabinets I got cheap that once had Electrovoice Wolverines I am told but they were empty when I got them and I have Magnavox horns and 200 watt Pioneer 12" in there at the moment. Still unfinished in the shed.
carpet might be replaced with duratex new terminals are going late this year or early next next month abs corners come of and the steel ones go on also next month mid and high breakers go in as well as the acustist-x I am not a dj or anu thing like that these are my personal speakers I use every day on ty movies video games and music playing they shake and vibrate every thing I was trying to make a malti funtion speaker that was a mix of a party speaker good for tv mmovies video games and have atleast mid-fi quality I really the pro/industreal look mids may be changed at point to domes by them same manufacture they are same size hole and 3 dbs louder and have more beefy bigger/heavyer magnets might sound better I love my frankin-speakers just with they were russian/balltec birch insted of mdf no plans for casters thanks for not ripping me to bits over such monstositys and cheap chinese drivers

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
was playing with this tone generator http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and these cabs can hit 30hz and once got in the 20s it fell off very fast I do not know the tuning frequincey of the boxes all I know is the they have a 4x3 port and are around 2.7 cubic feet if I were to guess I would say these are tuned between 30-50 hz

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
30 Hz is pretty good, just be careful and do not send sine-wave at high/full volume, this is very stressful for amps, and I imagine speakers.

Good for testing at lower volumes and with a scope for diagnostics.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
update they have been done for a while now and the acoust-x works great terminal have been changed I blew the mids and had to put the stocks one back in that feal like could break very fast dont know if circut breakers are working wright put them as instructed 2 different ones for mid and high mids were rated for mor power then the highs but high have not failed yet

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
want to build 2 more sets the 10'' vertion and the 15'' verion to go with the 12'' vertion I have now and get 2 more wopls to drive theme I think 3 pairs of speakers and 3 wopls hoked up to the same preamp would be a killer system

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
mids blew twice. these have been riped down for parts and the boxes trashed 10s and 15s are not going happen

orange

Tagline
Your horns looked pretty similar to good old Magnavox alnicos or Heppners.

I think your xovers are what's killing stuff. Remember that midranges don't take much of the power curve and tweeters next to nothing, especially in an AVERAGE pair of maybe 60 watt speakers.

Go easy above 75-100 Hz.

orange

Tagline
Alnico and Heppner type horns are going to take maybe 15 watts of power at 80-120 watts, maximum.

So little energy is needed to transmit the HF signal, which is good. I don't have any exact formula but to me mids take the middle range of the speaker input power, bass takes the most and treble the least.

I'm sure that's all a good and logarithmic doohickie.

orange

Tagline
PS I have neglected to mention how badass your El Camino is.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
the horns are pyramid tw36 150 peak watts but claim 400. 93db say 4ohms but read 6.3 75 watts rms