Charlie Watts Passes Away At Age 80

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Isn't it amazing that ol' Charlie, who lived the cleanest among the other Stones, passed away first. What is that supposed to teach our young ones?

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
My buddy, Karl, whom I work with, told me this story. This is quoted from the Los Angeles Times:

"By all accounts, Charlie Watts was a great drummer. By Keith Richards’ account, the man also had a great right hook.

That’s a lesson lead singer Mick Jagger learned the hard way during “a rare moment” in 1984, according to guitarist Keith Richards’ 2010 memoir, “Life.”

After Watts’ death was announced this week, fans of the rock band began reminiscing about the time the musician apparently served his bandmate a knuckle sandwich. Watts died Tuesday in London at age 80.

In his autobiography, Richards recalled witnessing Watts throw “his drummer’s punch — a punch I’ve seen a couple of times and it’s lethal. It carries a lot of balance and timing. He has to be badly provoked.”

According to the memoir, Richards and Jagger — who “weren’t on great terms at the time” — had just returned from a night out in Amsterdam to their hotel at “about five in the morning” when Jagger picked up the phone to ring Watts.

Despite Richards’ protests, Jagger called Watts, asked “Where’s my drummer?,” then hung up when Watts didn’t respond. “About twenty minutes later,” Richards wrote in his book, “there was a knock at the door.”

“There was Charlie Watts, Savile Row suit, perfectly dressed, tie, shaved, the whole f— bit. I could smell the cologne!” Richards continued.

“I opened the door and he didn’t even look at me. He walked straight past me, got hold of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again.’ Then he hauled him up by the lapels ... and gave him a right hook.”

As Richards remembers it, Watts struck Jagger so hard that the frontman “fell back onto a silver platter of smoked salmon on the table and began to slide towards the open window and the canal below it.”

Richards thought it was a “good one,” he wrote, until he realized Jagger was wearing his wedding jacket. “I grabbed hold of it and caught Mick just before he slid into the Amsterdam canal. It took me twenty-four hours after that to talk Charlie down.

“I thought I’d done it when I took him up to his room, but twelve hours later, he was saying, ‘F— it, I’m gonna go down and do it again.’ It takes a lot to wind that man up.”

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Isn't it amazing that ol' Charlie, who lived the cleanest among the other Stones, passed away first. What is that supposed to teach our young ones?

Nando.
In his case, to love your family and enjoy your horses and country estate while you can, Nando. And from all accounts that just what he did when the day job was done for the better part of 60 years. I can't think of a better example of a performer's life well lived.

Elite-ist

Staff member
That sure is detached from the rigors of being on a myriad of tours and time spent in the studio. Got to appreciate being able to do that. Got to admit - on a much smaller scale - I turn it off after my job is done for the day. I didn't do that a few decades ago when I was younger.

I have even told the crew, " If I don't show for the morning boat to work, don't wait - I might have decided to finally hang up my work boots." They slightly laugh because they feel I just might pull the pin at a moment of my choosing.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Damn, we all thinkin alike there, 46 years, won't take much for me to say fuck it......makin too damn much money right now, slammin it in the retirement fund too. Didn't do enough of that when I was young,...