Carys VS PL

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have to clarify this before I start writing. There is a difference between tube and SS.

I do like my PL ; but I am hearing things I never heard before with the tubes. This isn't my 1st rodeo with tubes. The both have their pluses.

Tubes
Warmer but more clarity. Have a small room so I do not need the power. Haven't rolled any tubes yet. Even at low power I can still hear the different instruments that I haven't heard before. Have had a few tube products before. It is a bad step for me. Will pull the PT DAC And anti-jitter today.

PL
Mine does not have a new board. It does sound very nice. It has the power to move you. After listening to the tubes. There is just something missing. It does need the IEC moved so I can put a real cord on it. LOL It can play load. Just doesn't have the definition that the tubes have. The down fall with the PL is every thing I added improved the sound. It could be the Hafler. I shall see. I have ran every component that was hooked to the PL to the Carys. There is a difference. I'm trying to be subjective here. I guess it all depends on what you want.

Now the question for me. Could I live with one system? Yes I
think so. I have never thought that before.

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline
Cutting down to one system would sure cut down on cost. Maintaining and the constant building would do it. Promised to play music at the reunion. So I need to hold onto the PL till then. Don't know if I can afford better. Have put a lot of money into this system and it is still growing with cost. I try very hard not to kid myself about the equipment I have. The PL does have its place.

Larry

speakerman1 said:

Larry

I've been asking myself this same question since a made a major upgrade in speakers and amp recently.

For me it's the opposite end of the spectrum. I've made such huge leaps in my SS system in such a short time. I'm wondering if I need tubes for anything more than tinkering with as a hobby.

I thought I was done with SS when I got my Accuphase system several years ago. I don't think I can part with the Accuphase either.

Looks like I'm gonna have at least a three system household ;)

speakerman1

Tagline
Rex Everything said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry

I've been asking myself this same question since a made a major upgrade in speakers and amp recently.

For me it's the opposite end of the spectrum. I've made such huge leaps in my SS system in such a short time. I'm wondering if I need tubes for anything more than tinkering with as a hobby.

I thought I was done with SS when I got my Accuphase system several years ago. I don't think I can part with the Accuphase either.

Looks like I'm gonna have at least a three system household ;)

I have 3 systems at this time. Creek, PL, and now the Carys. My SS upgrades has been to the digital side with DACs and Anti-jitter and reclocking. Thinking of running the Creek in the Living room. Just did the Parasound CD transport and DAC. Will see how it compares to the Grant CDP. If you can find any Perpetual Tech gear I would try it. You should have some good pawn shops in Vegas.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Rex, you've alluded to this "New" amp now at least a dozen times.......QUIT TEASIN!!!