carver designs...

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
We’ll be along soon to crap all over the topic and extend it a bit. Don’t worry.
lol...lol...
wouldnt want it any other way...
.the group has made me curious of the cult like followings...i have been reading about the genious of bob carver...
and curious about similar followings of other products...the cube...m 400...m1.0t series...
love hearing what others think...

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
The Carver magnetic amplifier, "mag amp" is not the accepted definition of a magnetic amplifier. Traditional magamps were used for a variety of industrial and military applications. As I recall, a mag amp is a line voltage conditioner that keeps the line voltage fed to a load at a constant voltage (120 volts) despite a wide variation in input voltage. It does this by first boosting the line voltage with an auto transformer and then reducing the voltage as needed with a DC bias on a bucking transformer.

As I recall, the Carver concept varied the DC bus voltage to an audio amplifier to minimize heat dissipation in the output stage. This reducced the size of the traditional input transformer and heatsinsks. If it was a revolutionary design more people would have followed suit. To my knowledge, none did. Below is a link to a company who makes magamps. The adventurous person will do a search on magamps and find some interesting applications.

CPC Magamp

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I think these were a class d amplifier.
I have a sunfire theatre grand V preamp for the surround sound system. I think it is an adequate piece but I’m not a fan of this amps design. Sun fire made its name on small long throw subwoofers. Sunfire was an other feather in Bob’s marketing hat.

gene french

Tagline
I have a sunfire theatre grand V preamp for the surround sound system. I think it is an adequate piece but I’m not a fan of this amps design. Sun fire made its name on small long throw subwoofers. Sunfire was an other feather in Bob’s marketing hat.
he seems to have quite the feather collection....
when asked about his favorite innovation, the pl 700 was his first mention...i kinda figured his better designs would be later in his career...just curious...

gene french

Tagline
wow...maybe some things dont age as well as others...interesting information...maybe the buck superceeds quality and reputation in some cases...
my dad always said...if you dig deep enough in anybodies craw...there is crap at the bottom...
thank you for your post...interesting read!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep, Buffalo Bob has a gimmick for everybody. Don't forget the Oxygen Free Adamantine Steele he uses in HIS transformers.