Carver C4000 Preamp

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have a Carver C4000 that I am using with the Phase Linear I just WOPL'ed. I had it serviced somewhere out west.. :la: a couple of years ago. A couple of questions, one he found the transformer was bad and there were no drop in replacements so he had to replace with a different one and basically build a voltage divider? to get the correct voltages he needed. It was also supposed to be gone thru, recapped etc. Well, I really haven't had an amp that I felt comfortable really cranking until I got the Phase Linear going and now that I do, a couple of things are bothering me. One is volume dial position, basically average listening is usually around the 11 to 1 o'clock position on the dial and really cranking good is doesn't even start til after 3 o'clock... seems abnormally high to me and I don't remember having to go that high on the dial before... another thing is I use the dynamic range expander all the time and with my turntable I have a Grace F9 that has the Soundsmith Ruby OCL stylus, and to get the light to come on it has I have to turn the dial all the way clockwise for most recordings... some recordings are different and I can get it to flash with out going up all the way. With the regular needle it'll work around the 2-3 o'clock positions. Still seems off to me.. It use to work around 1 o'clock before...... of course I have CRS so I could be way off base...

It's bothering me since I am getting some low freq distortion at high volume..... of course I could be overdriving :headbang: my speakers or who knows. I haven't yet pegged my needles on the WOPL 400 though.. Speakers are Magnepan 1.6qr's.

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Which is why I'm wondering about the C4000.. It sounds almost like a blown speaker when I get to loud... woofer.. I don't know that I have ever heard clipping enough to identify the sound. I believe the times I have heard any clipping it immediately blew the amp or speaker.... How hot should a WOPL'ed 400 get? It gets hot after a while... lol. Turned up past 3 o'clock anyways. :angryfire:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A WOPL clip sounds like a "crack" more than anything, and I've clipped a few 400's. I haven't clipped a 700 but Timdalf has....Marco, P.L.F. and Just Mike have C4000's , perhaps they will chime in...

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I have the PL 4000, quite similar to the Carver 4000, and ran into the same issue. I was having a "crack the windows in this house" session and was hitting the -20db switch during needle drop and rise. I forgot that I had this button depressed a couple of days later, and saw that the volume was at 3:00 for normal listening volume. It was then that I noticed that the button was depressed...
BLAM!

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have the PL 4000, quite similar to the Carver 4000, and ran into the same issue. I was having a "crack the windows in this house" session and was hitting the -20db switch during needle drop and rise. I forgot that I had this button depressed a couple of days later, and saw that the volume was at 3:00 for normal listening volume. It was then that I noticed that the button was depressed...
BLAM!
:compress: I've done that before... I also switched over to my Carver 2.0t amp and to see how things compared... at full volume it wasn't clipping the 2.0t. That's phono input..! If I select any other input the volume control is way lower!!!

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
In both cases ( PL 4000 and C4000 ) I think the problem is related to the de-thump circuit .
Replace the 2 transistors in PL 4000 or the 2 Fets in C4000 .
Refer to service manual for replacing them .
Generally the correct volume position is about 11 - 1 o' clock .
Check the input level with the led of peak unlimiter :
the correct position ( when the led flashes ) is about 1 - 2 o'clock .
Ciao
Marco

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
In both cases ( PL 4000 and C4000 ) I think the problem is related to the de-thump circuit .
Replace the 2 transistors in PL 4000 or the 2 Fets in C4000 .
Refer to service manual for replacing them .
Generally the correct volume position is about 11 - 1 o' clock .
Check the input level with the led of peak unlimiter :
the correct position ( when the led flashes ) is about 1 - 2 o'clock .
Ciao
Marco
Thanks, I'll look at that!