Capacitor Tester!

Peter S

Journeyman
Hi Folks;
Does anyone have a suggestion for an economical capacitor tester? I am looking at Fluke meters with this function but this nice ones wind up costing a fortune!
Can some testers check caps in circuit?

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Have you checked the AMES meters at Harbor Freight? I think their DM1000 can do capacitors for around $75. They are not bad meters for the price and one can usually find it on sale for slightly less.

Checking caps in-circuit usually is not valid. Remove connections to one end and be sure it is discharged before testing.

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have the Blue ESR too. Nice little unit. A 179 for the small stuff and an old Eico for the big stuff..

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
DE-5000 is a great little LCR meter, highly regarded and close to the industry standard these days. I purchased one a while back and trust it more than my bench unit.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
If you decide on the DER EE DE-5000, consider doing the Kelvin clip upgrade and getting a genuine wall wart power supply. The unit needs calibration on every startup and has a quick battery saving auto shutdown. It's annoying to grab the leads and find the unit has powered off.

Attachments

George S.

All the Peak Atlas units have very good reviews. Especially the high $ units that can utilize the additional power of a computer through a USB connection.
On a side note, was looking at their transistor testers, but those units have issues with being battery powered and unable to diagnose higher powered devices properly. So I've been researching old transistor testers that are mains powered.

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
All the Peak Atlas units have very good reviews. Especially the high $ units that can utilize the additional power of a computer through a USB connection.
On a side note, was looking at their transistor testers, but those units have issues with being battery powered and unable to diagnose higher powered devices properly. So I've been researching old transistor testers that are mains powered.
The semiconductor tester doesn't identify high current SCR's .... They have specific SCR tester !

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p

George S.

Yup, been looking at all the Sencore and BK Precision units. I have a old Boonton RF signal generator and HP CRT scope to sort out. Some units of both makes allow in circuit testing of transistors. That would be helpful as I go over the boards.
Would really like something newer and contemporary, mains powered. I'll keep looking. Thought Peak Atlas products were the answer, but not quite what I'm looking for. Think I've read everything on the net about them in the last year.
Starting to think a old Sencore would best suit me.

Peter S

Journeyman
I have recently purchased a Peak Atlas semiconductor tester at a friend's recommendation. Some of the best money I have ever spent!

My Fluke 75 has been working perfectly for 40 years but I thought it might be an idea to have a replacement with capacitance capability, if it should finally pack it in. Would have liked another Fluke but they have priced themselves out of my range.

The Ames DM1000 seems like another good option. It has temperature capability with a thermocouple probe included.

Thanks again all!

Last edited: