Canadian looking for advice

kerouacknew

New Around These Parts
Hey, I just located a couple Phase Linear Clair Bros Audio 700 series II amps fairly close to me locally. Awaiting pictures to see the condition of them.
After some research i discovered the White Oaks upgrade and am interested in finding someone who would be able to upgrade one for me. In Canada would be best but not necessary. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If i decided to purchase one i could probably purchase both if anyone if looking for one. Thanks

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Hi

I’m in the great white north as well
I will Pm you my info
I could help you

Glen

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Glad you joined Shawn!!! Told you someone would help you right away! Glenn above can easily do whatever work you need done. He has the only full comp Phase Linear D500 on the planet IIRC

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Glad you joined Shawn!!! Told you someone would help you right away! Glenn above can easily do whatever work you need done. He has the only full comp Phase Linear D500 on the planet IIRC
Glenn's amp may well be the only fully comp White Oak'd D-500.

However, there was at least (1) factory fully comp Phase Linear D-500 and it is owned by Ray Reed (former Phase Linear employee). I saw it at Dean Nissen's house a number of years ago. Ray, Dean and I organized Phase Linear re-union parties for a number of years.

Ed

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Glenn's amp may well be the only fully comp White Oak'd D-500.

However, there was at least (1) factory fully comp Phase Linear D-500 and it is owned by Ray Reed (former Phase Linear employee). I saw it at Dean Nissen's house a number of years ago. Ray, Dean and I organized Phase Linear re-union parties for a number of years.

Ed
Heh Ed when are you going to build one.??
I am on my Fifth Dual 500 conversion.

Next one is going with Joe’s G board with some serious frame mods. Just about to order a couple from him

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Heh Ed when are you going to build one.??
I am on my Fifth Dual 500 conversion.

Next one is going with Joe’s G board with some serious frame mods. Just about to order a couple from him
Glen,

Now that you've done your fifth conversion, does this mean you have some spare PL-32 driver boards available?

I have no plans to do any conversions on Dual 500/D-500's.
I am getting older and time is getting more precious to me. I need to be enjoying my retirement years.

Have you tried any Rev D board on any of your builds?

Ed

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Glen,

Now that you've done your fifth conversion, does this mean you have some spare PL-32 driver boards available?

I have no plans to do any conversions on Dual 500/D-500's.
I am getting older and time is getting more precious to me. I need to be enjoying my retirement years.

Have you tried any Rev D board on any of your builds?

Ed
Ed I know what you mean about time being a valuable commodity.

As to the PL32 boards- two 500’s are reworked Pl32 boards you have one of my surplus ones from before. So I have two spares which I am going to hang onto for now.

No I have not tried the revD board in one yet but plan to. I may do one this summer with the D board. My everyday amp seams to be be the 700B with rev D board. I like to listen to it. I also have my Carver C-500 full complimentary in my bedroom which has a rev D board, the first board I built from Joe..

Ed have you any analizes reports comparing the different boards yet?

Personally I do not think we are done with discreet components in these boards. Who knows what may come out in the future. If Nick or Steve ever finish their board design s then I would try them as well. Possibly Joe would re introduce the rev D board if we asked. A dual mono version with discreet drivers and a constant bias supply voltage would be great for switching rail designs. With that idea one still must ask is one more ic in the circuit going to change any audible sound one may listen to. Ic’s offer next to mill DC offset.

My fall project will be to build an amp with the hearsink I got from you as a dual mono using separate channel power supplies and one of the G boards which has true mono channels.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I would love to try a D-500

I also would love one of these new G boards in my Clair Bros amp since my preamp is Dual Mono Class A. If Ed is retiring from building, I don't see it happening though. No way I can afford to ship an amp anywhere

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I would love to try a D-500

I also would love one of these new G boards in my Clair Bros amp since my preamp is Dual Mono Class A. If Ed is retiring from building, I don't see it happening though. No way I can afford to ship an amp anywhere
Ron,

I don't have any plans to pursue working on Dual/D-500's. However, there will be some special occasions from time to time.

Phase Linear 700's are the only amps that interest me at this time. 400's are hardly worth the effort.

I still plan on seeing you and helping out in anyway I can.

Ed

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
We really need to find another large supply of 700s. Have really gotten hard to find.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Hello New Member,

There are several people who can bring your amp up to whatever level you want. Jerry (jbeckva), or Lee (laatsch55) or Perry (WOPL Sniffer) are awesome and all done rebuilds for me or could be highly recommended. Go to the WOPL REBUILD PAGE and ask.... it is probably about 1000-1500 USD to do one......but well worth it,. You can't find any NEW amp....regardless of the price, that can compete... and you will not regret it..

Last edited: