Can I "create" a larger wattage 10 ohm resistor?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I am in need of a 10 ohm resistor of at least 1/2 watt and the only 10 ohm resistors I have are 1/4 watt metal film. The nearest "local" business that might have such a thing is over an hour round trip. Like about 100km.

If that doesn't pan out, can I solder two resistors in parallel then connect two of those pairs in series?

Would not two 10 ohm resistors in parallel equal 5 ohms?
And two such pairs in series equal 10 ohms?
If that is feasable, what would the total wattage be if all four were 1/4 watt?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I am in need of a 10 ohm resistor of at least 1/2 watt and the only 10 ohm resistors I have are 1/4 watt metal film. The nearest "local" business that might have such a thing is over an hour round trip. Like about 100km.

If that doesn't pan out, can I solder two resistors in parallel then connect two of those pairs in series?

That works

62vauxhall

Tagline
I am guessing that the original resistor, R18 in the diagram is 1/2 watt. The value is not printed on the diagram, just an asterisk, but I learned it is 10 ohm.

If I am understanding it correctly, the note states that if a resistor's value is identified on the schematic, it is 1/4 watt. But since no value for R18 is stated, I took that to mean it is not 1/4 watt but larger.

It could be that I saw something somewhere regarding it being designated "FS" - fail safe as per the note.

So far I have not read anything online, to my limited understanding anyway, as to what fail safe actually means when it comes to resistors. I imagined it means being able to dissipate power. That's what made me think I need 1/2 watt rather than 1/4 watt.

That and it supposedly has 50 volts going through it.

Akai AA1010 amp board schematic re R18 and R20.PNG

Akai AA1010 amp board diagram re R18 and R20.PNG Akai AA1010 resistor notaion from schematic.PNG

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

What is it you are working on, we can liik at the skizmo and assist

62vauxhall

Tagline
What is it you are working on, we can liik at the skizmo and assist
Considereing the caliber of gear discussed in this forum, I'm nearly embarrassed to say. But it's an Akai AA-1010.

I did the drive today and combined some errands with visiting the parts store. If I burned up $18 wirth of fuel, I wanted to make the trip worthwhile. I got 1/2 watt resistors but as was said....tiny. No bigger than a glass diode. Or smaller.

George S.

Nothing wrong with Akai, they made some interesting gear. I like my Akai integrated amp, it still works great and looks cool.

George S.

The AA-1010 has good reviews on HiFi Engine. Well worth fixing and should sound great in a smaller room with some appropriate speakers. Keep us updated on your progress and post some photos.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Depending on which model you have (US Versions, CSA, UL, LA 120VAC 60Hz) or (CEE 220VAC 50hz) or OTHER MODELS (BEAB 110/220/240 switchable) that R18 is either a 10 ohm or 22 ohm but they are both 1/4 watt (your half watt will not cause issues) and are FS which is really a "Fireproof Resistor" so it don't cause a fire if the unit blows. Were you able to see the color code on the resistor or was it blown? You should have matched it to the resistor in the right channel since you are dickin with the left.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Depending on which model you have (US Versions, CSA, UL, LA 120VAC 60Hz) or (CEE 220VAC 50hz) or OTHER MODELS (BEAB 110/220/240 switchable) that R18 is either a 10 ohm or 22 ohm but they are both 1/4 watt (your half watt will not cause issues) and are FS which is really a "Fireproof Resistor" so it don't cause a fire if the unit blows. Were you able to see the color code on the resistor or was it blown? You should have matched it to the resistor in the right channel since you are dickin with the left.
Was definatly a 10 ohm. I measured it before it went up in smoke.