Can anyone repair a Hafler PRO 500 amplifier?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I have a friend who loves power like we do. He was running a Hafler PRO-500 and several Haffler P-200's. Problem is, the Pro-500 has problems and need a refurb. I don't know if it would be better for him to try to fix the Hafler, or go all out and get the 700 or 700B with the White Oak mods. I'm talking to him, and he'll go either way, but I need to see if aanyone is willing and able to refurbish a 500 hafler, or if he'd be better off dion the 700 route. He is like me, but a little less of a miser...He doesn't want to part with mugh moola.

Any suggestions? My Brystons are out of his price range..

Any Hafler experts out there?

Thanks a lot..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Is it still working or is it just not up to snuff?? how big a hurry id he in??

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Not the best 500 but pretty good. Might make your ears perc up.If no mods.Just some touch up work. Recap and stuff. Don't want to change the Hafler sound to much.

Larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I know he has been running with only the Hafler 220's and has been for months, but he is another power hungry audio nut. He and I use to be speaker building buds, and built two pairs of the Linus Arrays, and we each have a pair. I'm getting him back into cassette decks and all too. I'll try to get him to join in here.

I don't think he is in a big hurry. I just know him, and he'll end up with the Hafler 500 AND a Phase Linear 700...maybe not a b....he just loves power and great sound, and is not much for asthetics.

You might even interest him in the old 700 road warrior you have laying around.. He's really a great guy, and we've built probably 10 subs, 20 pairs of speakers, and stayed up all night many a night just making speakers and stuff. Loves quality sound, and loud is not loud enough. He was bi-amping the arrays with the Hafler500 on the woofs and the 220 on the tweets....gotta remember these woofers are only 5 1/2" drivers, but there are 12 of them. He also has a 15" sub, ported in a 6 cubic foot enclosure with a 1000 watt plate amp on it....and then ya got the rear speakers and the center channel..but he's not running near the power I am......MMMwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Oh, the amp is technically working...it didn't smoke or anytihing, it just peaks really early and very little sound coming out....I know I'm being VERY technicalll

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The P-500 is not a post Fosgate one, it is one of the early ones with all the dials and lights and pots and stufff. Good stuff, it just ain't working. correctly

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The fan is a little noisey, and I can replace the storage caps and deoxit, but beyond that I am pretty much lost. It can't be too bad, as I think it still makes sound, but I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

I hate to impose on Lee, as he has like three or four amps he's trying to get in tip top shape for me, and he has to have time to get his own amps done. Does nyone else think they could take a stab at it?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
How is it imposing if I ask to fix it?? There are always times, like this week where I was waiting on parts, that a project like that makes sense. Got plenty of room now.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And in a situation lioke this where my learning curve may not be quite up to snuff i don't charge for my education. I feel compelled to charge only the parts and VERTY FEW hours.