Bulk Tape Degausser

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
The Geneva PF-215 is the only degausser that will bulk erase metal tapes since it requires 3000gauss to completely erase a metal tape.I phoned the Geneva Company. They are no longer in the audio business. They now provide Truck racks.I have looked on ebay and on Google but have not been able to find one. A regular degausser won't work even if you apply it 2x it just won't erase a metal tape completely,there are always blurbs of sound left over. Maybe someone can tell me where to get one.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Keep on looking. I have a Geneva Pf-215 myself. The PF-215 is 2800 gauss which is enough for metal tapes as I have used it on many.

If you look long enough one will show up on ebay. It looks like 5 have sold in the last two months so it shouldn't take long to find one.

It is kind of interesting to use as it makes the tape spool in a cassette rattle when you use it. :laughing9:

Last edited:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Keep on looking. I have a Geneva Pf-215 myself. The PF-215 is 2800 gauss which is enough for metal tapes as I have used it on many.

If you look long enough one will show up on ebay. It looks like 5 have sold in the last two months so it shouldn't take long to find one.

It is kind of interesting to use as it makes the tape spool in a cassette rattle when you use it. :laughing9:
I will keep looking,Thanks for the tip. How did you know that 5 were sold in the last 2 months.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I found that you can do about 3 tapes then let it cool down for 5 or 10 minutes then do another three. It has thermal protection and gives you 60 seconds on and 30 minutes off. If you want more runtime then put the device in your freezer overnight then it will take longer to heat up.

I think I might have two of these bulk erasures. I bought one new for $70 about 10 years ago and bought another on ebay for about $25 a few years ago. As long as you get a PF-215 they are rated for metal tapes. You need about 2800 or more gauss for metal tapes, most of the radio shack models are only 2300 an wont erase metal tapes. If you get Rad shack with an "A" at the end of the model number they are more powerful and supposedly will erase metal particle tapes.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I found that you can do about 3 tapes then let it cool down for 5 or 10 minutes then do another three. It has thermal protection and gives you 60 seconds on and 30 minutes off. If you want more runtime then put the device in your freezer overnight then it will take longer to heat up.

I think I might have two of these bulk erasures. I bought one new for $70 about 10 years ago and bought another on ebay for about $25 a few years ago. As long as you get a PF-215 they are rated for metal tapes. You need about 2800 or more gauss for metal tapes, most of the radio shack models are only 2300 an wont erase metal tapes. If you get Rad shack with an "A" at the end of the model number they are more powerful and supposedly will erase metal particle tapes.
The A is before Energy Star? (and made yet another appliance totally useless)

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline

You were lucky as I'm having a hard time finding one.I have a Nortronics OM-11 that does a decent job on chrome tapes but of course it won't have enough Gauss to erase metal tapes. I bought another brand new Geneva PF-11 on ebay for $35 +shipping $25.It won't erase Metal tapes but it is new never been out of the box and My OM-11 is taped up but works.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The A is before Energy Star? (and made yet another appliance totally useless)
I think either they added a few more turns to the coil to make the "a" models it metal capable, or they just said screw it and added a line to the outside of the box to say it was now metal capable without actually changing the product. :laughing9:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
I think either they added a few more turns to the coil to make the "a" models it metal capable, or they just said screw it and added a line to the outside of the box to say it was now metal capable without actually changing the product. :laughing9:
Radio shack is quite capable of that.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Look at how long it took to get a PF-215 from Ebay! It took all this time and now about 5 of them are listed for sale. I got one of the 5!